Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Box scraper project

jlasater

I'm going to build a landscape box scraper for my 716H and would like a little input on it's dimensions. Currently I'm planning on building one that's 48" wide, 16" deep, and 12" high. It'll be made out of 10guage steel, with a 3-point hitch setup with two lower arms and the upper lift arm doing double duty as both a lift and locating arm. One thing I've noticed on some of the larger scrapers for large tractors is the cutting lip sticks down about 2" or so below the rest of the scrapper. I was going to just have it flush as I'm not intending for it to do any digging, just leveling what's already dug up. It'll be used for light grading of the driveway and such, as I have a dozer for the heavier work.

If your prime work for it will be grading, I think you should make yourself a belly mount grader instead, the control of the belly mount is so sweet.

Yeah, that's an idea. Some of the places I need to grade need something that can be backed in and then graded out, something I couldn't do with a belly grader.

Jeremy do you have a front blade already? If so, you can use it right against a retaining wall or such to drag out dirt or gravel several feet away, then use the belly blade to do a super grading job. Larry

The house my mother lives in is a 2 story with the lower story being half underground. When you went out the back doors ther was a foot path just wide enough to park the 3415H tractor on. The next step would take you down a steap drop to about 6 to 7 feet. We decided to change all this. Having no idea at the time how much dirt would be involved, we planned to make the area 12 feet wide from 4 or 5 and pour a concrete slab on top about 80 feet long. The company we got to haul in fill dirt was a good one. They used tri-axle dump trucks and there was no rock or trash in the dirt at all. I don't remember just how many loads there was but it was a large number. Anyway, When they stopped hauling there was a huge number of pointed dirt mounds. I got my B-10 with a back blade ( Turned forward ) And started spreading and leveling. All the work was done with the B-10 and the back blade. I'll tell you that a Bobcat would not have done the job IMO. Far to steep, rough and soft. I guess the only things that i know of that would have done as good a job as safely would have been a large loader or better yet a track hoe. This was nothing but a back blade though I did weld 5/16 bolts to the edge and most of the time I kept 100 or more LBS or weight on the blade. ( Tough work w/o a hydro lift ) The bigest problem being not enough weight on the front and thats something I have yet to fix...( I can see where in some ways the box would be better for fine work and a Johnny Bucket would have been a dream come true for filling low spots but I'll never give up my back blade ! Good luck on your project .