Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Where Are the Old Tractors?

andy gartner

In seems in our region of the country (great lakes/mid-west) one must be thankful for getting in the tractor game, on the front side of the curve. Things seem to be drying up in old lawn/garden tractorville. Or people are holding on longer, fixing up old heirlooms. This happened with big Farmall's and JD's. One hardy sees'em advertised anymore. Or maybe, grass isn't long enough yet, to get the bad news, the ol'tractor won't start. So ol'tractors aren't at dealer's yet, with estimates it'll take $8 million dollars to get ol' orange running again.:( Hmmm, better trade for a new one... How's it look in your area?

I still think that there's more in your area than there are around here, but I still run across them once in a while. You're not going to find too many on that same stretch of road going to Starbuck's.;)

Sofar there has been several MTDs and Craftsmen tractors in the papers ,here in south east New England,but nothing of interest to anyone "here",most of these are 2-3 years old,time to get new ones !

I live in the Hudson Valley of New York State and most of the tractors I see advertised in the local want ads are MTD's and Craftsman. On occasion you'll find a Simplicity, Allis, or some John Deeres. People just don't want to part with them and when they do, they are usually in rough shape.

I looked in the NC Ag Review last night, and I saw a couple of AC's but they are way overpriced. $3000 for an old B-12 in "ok" shape. No way.

andy there's still a few left around here but the most of the owner had rather let them set and turn rust then to sell them . then you got some owner that will sell but they ask so much for them . look at a b10 the other day was just an old used lawn tractor<rough> $850.00 jj

In my part of the country, if you ask about simplicity, They say Sim...what? Then if you ask about AC, they take you to a big farm tractor. I've only seen 3 in this area, mine, a 3112 at a junk dealer for $500.00 "as is", and one on a trailer that I could not catch up with.

The reason you do not find them in your area is because I have purchased most of them and hauled them to my 'back yard AC retirement home'. Steve

I look all the time here in NC. So far found a b10, 2 b12s and theres a guy in greensboro with a simplicity with hydro I think its a 1012 for 850. Theres a B12 in franklinville with a loader on it that the guy still uses, but he said hes saving it for his grandson. They are here but nobody wants to sell at any price.

Here in Central Minn. old tractors are hard to come by. Never a Simplicity or A.C. I stopped at two JD dealers the other day, both said they don't get any old stuff in on trade anymore. Where are they? Never anything in the paper worth looking into. Floyd

quote:
Originally posted by Tuffy
The reason you do not find them in your area is because I have purchased most of them and hauled them to my 'back yard AC retirement home'. Steve
Puzzle solved.Steve has them all.I have a small retirement home as well.Closet collector ya know.:D 328 To funny.Thats were defensive driving comes into play.Hold on kids we are on a mission.:o)To be told NOT FOR SALE:(

Here in the suburbs of NY, there are very few tractors period, because we all have such small lawns. I have had to travel several hundred miles for most of my machines, (Conn. NJ, NH, Vermont, Pa, and upstate NY) which to save time and gas, I always try to incorporate into a trip to my upstate place. Now that gas has become so expensive, my traveling has been curtailed, and it was one reason I decided not to buy that $300 AC-917 Shuttle, in NJ. I did find this B10, about 25 miles away which painted up real nice. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/arjr111/B-10.jpg[/img]

Oh as for tractors here all I did was ask a couple guys and it' been good. Tractors are finding me now LOL.

They're here in Eastern Ct...... LOL Show up soon with a trailer and cash and you'll go home happy........

ARJR i've got one like that some where .mine doesn't that good. that one there is a beauty. i just remember mine is up at the paint shop that a friend of mine runs he's going to let me use it to paint mine. so parts of it are there and parts of it are in the basement and parts of it are in my truck.i just hope i can find all of it when i get ready to paint it. also hope i can rememberhow to put it back together. jj

Well one of my co-workers asked if I was intersted in 7116H. He has to clean up his yard and the tractor has been under cavas for about 6 mos. It does not have a mower deck, however I do have a 48" deck I rarely use. But the idea of a newer Soverign with a hydro drive and hyd lift is very tempting and he keeps on mumbling around $250.00 Will have more to report on Monday. They are still around if you have the patience. Fifteen years ago, I started out with a 7010-6, bought and sold a B-207 and a couple of 728's. If I get the next one, it will then be 4 large frames and the 728. All for 10, 000 sq ft of grass.

Wow Art! What a gorgeous looking tractor! Did Mary (Columbus, OH) do your seat? Seems there are more oldies available in our SimptrAC classified, than around our area lately. Maybe it's too early yet, for trade-ins Floydster. Around here the 'ol Simplicity dealer usually has lots of old trade-ins he sells to the 'Picker' who takes them to auction. So there's lots of old orange tractors, implements and parts hanging around for a song. But not yet this year. And rarely, if ever, an AC. Bob! Sounds like you'll have a story with a great ending-let us know! Speaking of gas...just paid a $1.89 a/gal for regular. Suddenly a consideration for going any distance, for a tractor run.

I have a dealer around here with 2 or 3 wearhouses full of old tractors. I have asked many times to see what he has i might buy, and he wont deal at all. All he wants to talk about is new ones. Hes been in business a long time and rents or owns many mower junk yards and wearhouses. Around his store you can see 2 or 3 old Simpicitys and several in his finced in lot. If he ever sells out/retires I have to go the his sale.

Thanks guys for the compliments on my B10. Andy, in the interest of keeping my tractor budget intact, I gave it a rattle-can paint job using cat. yellow, and did the seat myself. Since I do not have sewing skills, I did the seat using a non-stitch, fold method, that I observed used on Gym Equipment. One advantage of this method is that there are no stitches to pull apart. You really have to look very closely to see the differences between this seat and the professionally stitched one, on my B-207. Disadvantages are that more material is needed to complete a single seat, and the fact, that it is not an exact replica. I was able to complete two folded seats, for about the price of one professionally stitched seat. So far, the one I have installed has held up, extremely well. See link for the seat-project photos. [url]http://www.geocities.com/arjr111/photopagespiral.html[/url]

I watch Ebay all the time and check out local sales, most Simplicities seem to show up in the Great Lakes Region, nearer to where they are built. Most Cubs show up in PA. In North Carolina very few older Simplicities near the coast as most dealers are relatively new. Love to have a 16 hp Simplicity like my 4211H with a 48" deck. Mike

quote:
Originally posted by andy gartner
Wow Art! What a gorgeous looking tractor! Did Mary (Columbus, OH) do your seat? Bob! Sounds like you'll have a story with a great ending-let us know!
Art nice job. What do the 'cabbies' say when you strut your stuff down the road?:) Andy, the story is, I bought it. Here is a pic. It looks like I will need some carb work and maybe a voltage regulator. Engine sounds fine, hydro and hyd lift function fine and I got a rear lift also. Sheet metal is a little shabby but pictures seem to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. Worse come to worse, I can part it out, (God forbid), and make a buck or two maybe. My wife is starting to ask questions like, 'Well why did you get this one' and I reply that 'I got it because that one can't do it as this one can anymore' and then she asks 'OK, then why haven't got rid of that one?' and I reply 'I'm working on finding a buyer for that one yet", hoping she'll forget.

Bob That's a great story! It runs good, hydro works, and the pic does look great. A terrific value to top all. Congrates on a great looking tractor! Looks like a keeper!?! Hope you can keep'em both! :)

quote:
Marty, in the interest of keeping my tractor budget intact, I gave it a rattle-can paint job using cat. yellow, and did the seat myself.
Hey Andy, sorry for mixing up names!