Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

310 AC Won't Run

DaveM

I used this tractor all winter to push snow. It always started right off and purred like a kitten. However, when I was getting it ready for mowing it started right off, ran for about 10 seconds, then died. It would not start up again. I pulled the plug and there is plenty of spark. Replace the plug and it did the same thing--started right off then died. I did notice it was blowing quite a bit of grey smoke when it started, almost like it was flooded (not usually any smoke at all). Now it won't start period. I pulled the gas line after the filter and gas is flowing freely at that point (not a clogged filter), and the plug smells of gas. Air filter looks fine, and removing it prior to attempting to start the tractor made no difference. Any suggestions? DaveM

Sounds like it may have picked up some water in the fuel,try draining the float bowl.i've been adding a little "HEET" dry gas to the fuel i use blowing snow,incase some snow gets in it.

This happens quite often with my engines. Most usually theres gunk stuck in the main fuel jet in the carb. But if you have spark and gas, its gotta go. Maybe the condenser is gone or ignition coil? Do you still have spark even after it quits? Most of the time its a carb problem for me. Also, the carb could be out of adjustment, could be feul pump, choke could be stuck? Thats what my 416 does right now, and i know its a gas problem. Try pumping the feul pump after it quits, and try it again. Thats what I have to do.

sound like water to me .water doesn't mix with gas it just glob up and want let the gas flow.i pour a little rubbing alcohol in the tank alcohol will mix with the water and thin out the glob and let it all flow through.that is unless there is a lot of water. alcohol is a lot cheaper then store bought stuff for water. jj

Thanks guys! You saved me a lot of time and effort. I removed the float bowl, drained it and put it back on. Runs like a charm now! Must have been water. DaveM