Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

West to the Mississippi, Part II

Kent

How far will you go to get a good one? The last trip to the Mississippi River was to get a Simplicity 2012 with 515 loader.... The next trip in June is take this 3112V and its attachments from its second owner and bring it back to Massachusetts...

I thought it was a nice package, given this description: "42 inch snowblower, 48 inch mower deck, 36 inch tiller with extensions to 48 inch, 46 inch HD front blade - angle from seat, new set of chains, front counter weight for tiller & rear counter weight for snow blower. Engine uses no oil & all paint on tractor & attachments is original. Also has new rebuilt starter/gen. & drive belt." If the package is in as good of shape as it appears to be, one of my yellow tractors just may have to go to make room for it.... I'm already having to sell my fishing boat to pay for the rest of the "package" and a way to get all this home -- a 14-foot version of this 16-footer:

But, I should be ready to take more than one tractor to a show now, and feel safe in traveling more than 50 miles from home....

Kent, all your missing is a sickle mower or front brush cutter. You said you had the loader. O yea, and a right hand lift lever. Gonna have some 3-D CAD drawings posted soon on that.

Kent get the 16 or 18 those extra few feet will be real helpfull. I want a 18 I think I should be able to get up to six tractors or more on at once.

That is a very, very nice looking rig. The tiller still looks like its new, and the rear rims almost look like the desired wide ones for 12 inch tires, not the narrow ones used on most 10.5's. It always amazes me on how some of these tractors remain almost unused for so many years. This one couldn't have found a better home. Congrats! Nice trailer too. BTW, those rear gates let very little air flow through them at speeds over 40. The air turbulence will produce forces that make the grate act just like a solid plate of metal. If you’re looking for better gas mileage, you might want to look into a trailer with ramps.

Glad too see such a beaty go to a good home Kent. Just hope that spot on the floor is from a sloppy oil change job.

Somebody has taken great care of that rig through the years. It does look practically unused. I also wonder how they can look so good after working all of those years.

quote:
Originally posted by jkmustang1
Kent get the 16 or 18 those extra few feet will be real helpfull. I want a 18 I think I should be able to get up to six tractors or more on at once.
John, I have very limited storage space for the trailer itself -- it has to sit in the driveway at all times. So, I decided on the 14'. It should haul 3 to 4 tractors, which should be sufficient. I'll also be pulling this with a Dakota, not a Ram with a Cummins Diesel... :D
quote:
Originally posted by CleanBee Nice trailer too. BTW, those rear gates let very little air flow through them at speeds over 40. The air turbulence will produce forces that make the grate act just like a solid plate of metal. If you’re looking for better gas mileage, you might want to look into a trailer with ramps.
Ramps are already under consideration, due to the weight of the loader. Who knows, it may even get modified to become a side-loading trailer. I priced having a trailer custom built, with ramps, but it was over my budget for right now. Something had to give, to keep it within budget, and trailer brakes and new tires seemed a higher priority... These ramps are supposedly removable... we'll see how easy that really is. I'll try taking them off for the drive back to New England...

The tractor was kindly brought to my attention by club member Stan Danielson. It belonged to his son, who'd bought it a few years back from the original owner. Stan offered me the "first dibs" on it when it came up for sale, knowing I'm a fan of these FDTs. He said it was the cleanest original tractor he'd seen. Once I saw the pictures, I paid the asking price without dickering at all -- but I did ask him for enough time to figure out how to put the whole trip together to get it.... It'll likely cost me $250 - $300 in the gas bill alone to bring it home -- assuming some increase in gas prices. I'm going to combine it with several other stops to rationalize the time and expense. First to a family reunion in East Tennessee, then pick up the trailer north of Cincinnati. Then on to Wisconsin, where I want to visit the Simplicity plant and meet some of those folks face-to-face. Then pick up the tractor and go over to Minnesota to visit old friends, then head back with a couple of diversions along the way.... I've been wanting and talking about getting a larger trailer for a few years -- this just "forced the issue" and made me get on with it....

Looks like it was well worth the trip I can't believe how new they look Nice haul and nice trailer.

Kent That is a nice trailer. With 14' you should be able to get 4 tractors on and maybe 5 if placed right plus some attachments. Those loading gates can cost up to 10 mpg been there done that. I got a good deal my self this week. I finialy got one of those elusive right hand duel lift levers Part# 990791 NOS in the box complete. Couldn't bet the price with a stick. THANKS FRED.

quote:
Originally posted by Kent
I'm already having to sell my fishing boat to pay for the rest of the "package" and a way to get all this home -- a 14-foot version of this 16-footer
NOW it's getting serious...LOL. My gate slides either left or right, about an inch or so, and that allows it to "come off" the hinge, and the gate can be removed. Very simple to remove.

I'd hate to see you get rid of the Big 10 I ''gave'' you but that's the logical choice as the hb is much more rare-er than it.Plus it will bring a nice buck.,Now,, with a new trlr come to montgomery like Jim V said he might and take a chance on winning a 4 foot trophy for best /rarest garden tractor!?Its in late july, one day on a Sun.also a very nice car show is there too.,camping is avail near me at county park wih lake,fishing,,.When show is over c'mon over for beer,brats and a trac pull[using my stuff or yours!] at my ''test track''!,,

;)Kent, That is a very sweet package!! But is way farther than I would go. [V]Heck, I'm dieing here to bid against you on that one up by Maynard!![V]But mother says da money tree dunna got no leaves on it yet!!

Kent, Send me a PM and let me know when youll possibly be in Wisconsin...Could possible join you to see the plant!

Jay, right now it looks like Port Washington is Wednesday, June 23rd... But, that's still subject to change... http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29881

I would also like to meet with youIt is just a hour away from here and I am free most mornings.Maybe a bunch of the Wisconsin people could get together for lunch or something.I know there would be a bunch that would like to meet you in person.That Dodge Dakota should have no problem with that little 14 foot trailer.I pulled a 18 footer with 1 wonderboy 700 1 B1 1 david bradley tritrac 1 bolens ridemaster 2 walker tractors 1 sulky 1 trailer.I did keep it down to 70 with that big of a load and of course in overdrive.It did have the 3.9 v6.Bob

Bob, I'm certainly up for it, though time will be limited if you look at that schedule. The most free time might be Tuesday evening, June 22nd, though, when I'll be coming into Madison, according to this tentative schedule. Are you free in the evenings or do you work 2nd shift? Kent