Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Which gets voted off the island?

Kent

As described in this topic, I really need to get rid of one of my Allis-Chalmers to add this newest tractor to the fleet... http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30833 [img]http://simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/Diff_view.jpg[/img] The money that I'd been saving for fixing up the 2012 with 515 loader has now been tied up in this latest purchase. I plan for this "new to me" 3112V to become my "daily driver" since it has a great set of matching implements. I really don't need this many working tractors, and by selling one, with some of the attachments, I can: (a) finish the 2012 w/loader (absolutely a keeper), and (b) let the remaining yellow one become more a show tractor, instead of a working tractor as it is today... The question now is, which one gets voted off the island? (1) The HB-216, with hydraulic lift, Sundstrand hydro, and rebuilt ring-gear start 16HP...

More old pics and the story of the hydro conversion are here: http://simpletractors.com/do_it/variable_to_hydro.htm (2) The Big Ten, with high/low, hydraulic lift, and a later model Magnetron replacement engine...

More old pics and its story are here: http://simpletractors.com/do_it/2_into_1.htm Note that neither one of these tractors look as good up close (they're spray-can paint jobs), nor do they look as good today as when the pictures were taken. Working them hard has both scratched, smudged and oily.... I'll never get my money out of either one, but by selling one, the other can get to be more of a show tractor... and the loader get it's turn to be freshened up.... Which one would you let go?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kent

• D-17_Dave

• maxtorman1234

• MPH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well i'd keep them all. They are all great tractors. I'd wait till I got more $ then fix up the 2012 and loader. But if I had to get rid of one it would probably be the HB-216. You have the hi-lo and hydraulic lift and some other wistles and bells on your Big ten. The Hi-lo and Hydrualic lift are hard to come by. Thats my 2 cents.

For practical use, the HB-216 would be the one to keep. However, since you stated that the one you'll keep will become more of a "show" tractor, the HB-216 has to go. I know that seeing a Big Ten is more exciting to me because it is older, rarer, and neater-looking IMO. Good luck on an extremely tough decision. DaveM

This sounds like a personal problem. Just kidding. Well I'd keep one old machine just to say I have an old 64', that's why I wanted the 64' 101, I'm restoring. Otherwise, I really need to go big...bigger. I let a running IH 3616 diesal go for $1500 with loader. With the projects I want to do over the next 10 years, that would have been an investment.

Since your wantting to keep one AC more for show then use Kent, I'd have to vote for keeping the B-10 as it more orginal. You did a great job reinventing the HB216, but I think OEM is a plus for show. If its too tough to to choose, flip two bits and live with it.;)

My Vote is to find something else around the house to sell!!! If thats not possible I would keep the round hood Big Ten. But that is just one of my favorites they both look great and both have good things that people want.

I'd keep the HB216 because of it's uniqueness. You have taken one of the older machines and evolved it to the state of the newer machines. Not many of them around. In fact you may have the only one of this type. Plenty of B10s around. I see them for sale regularly. If I was offered either tractor with the price being the same on both, there is no doubt that I'd take the HB216. All of my tractors are workers. Oh well, I really don't count since I am partial to RBTs.

I would have to say let the HB-216 go and keep the Big Ten. Though just my opinion mainly because I really like the look of the older tractor with the round top hood and fenders that stand up and say I'm Ready Let's Go Work. But if I remember right wasn't this your first baby?

Does any tractor have 'Immunity'??? ;) I had a similar situation 2 years ago, but I had 2 motorcycles. I only wanted to sell 1, but couldn't decide which. So I put both up for sale, and kept the 1 that didn't sell. Or, you could conduct an Immunity Challenge. Whichever 1 performs the task best, stays. A true Survivor All-Star. Personally, I like 'em both. Build a tier parking garage...lol Tacey

Kent, I think you are looking at this all wrong. I am sure your job does not require to work weekdays, nights, and weekends, so get a second job that requires you to work nights and weekends. This will give you the needed money to restore the loader and keep the other two tractors. This will cause you to have another problem: that is no free time for playing with your tractors. (Well you can't have your cake and eat it too.) Given a choice I would keep the big ten. If needed, you could still put in to work. Plus I like the look of 4 AG's Rick.......

I was just looking over both projects. The HB-216 has a lot of custome fitting involved that would be fun showing off, while the Big Ten has had a lot of work to breath new live into it as well. I sure don't envy you this decision. I am afraid I wouldn't be able to part with either I grow attached to things I put that much work into. If one has to go I think I'd go along with put them both up for sale and let the first serious offer make the decision. Good luck with it either way.

Kent, I don't know how many opinions you need, but I have to agree with the majority and say "PLEASE DON'T SELL THE BIG TEN!" It has been the subject or example of many posts on the site and I've become attached to her and since I don't have the funds to purchase her from you..... Jeff

Well assuming neither one has any sentimental value I would get rid of the Big Ten. But only If I absolutley had to. If memory serves me correct you have children,,,if one of them is soon to be getting a house I would point it in that direction, the last thing would be to sell it but if you are definatly gonna let one go I would keep the Big Ten. P.S please keep us postted as to who gets "voted off the island" ...maybe another memebr will be interestted,,{not hinting} first have to get the one i have running.

Keep the B-10, give the HB-216 too your wife. This lets her get "more involved" and keeps it near. Thats what I did when I found the 620. When it came time to sell the 212 she said "your not gonna get rid of MY tractor, are you"?. To my surprise it actually worked.lol Hope you have as good a road trip as I did going to Detroit last weekend. If your going by the Simp. plant, see if they have a loader for my 620 NOS setting in the warehouse that needs to get moved so they can have the room.lol. Be safe, Dave.

Keep both the big 10 and the HB-216 and sell the 3112 to me. I would even trade the 2012 that I just aquired for it as partial payment.

quote:
Originally posted by wantedinct
Personally, i would flip a coin.
Heads = Sell the HB-216 Tails = Keep the Big Ten

I'd keep the HB-216. You'd play hell trying to find another like it. The Big Ten would be easier to replace. Convert the Big Ten back to a straight three speed with hand lift and sell it. Keep the hi-lo and hydraulic lift in case you ever get the desire for another "keeper" tractor or restoration project. Pat ADDED: You may even want the hydraulic lift for the 3112!

I'll go along with what Pat said, Keep the HB, take the Hi-Lo and the Hydraulics off of the Big Ten and move it along....

Now that's some interesting ideas... pulling the High/Low and Hydraulic Lift off the Big Ten... Those two options are certainly worth more as "parts" than they would add to the value of the Big Ten.... I also probably have enough pieces/parts to put another Big Ten or B-12 together, plus either of those options would fit the 2012 with loader... (I have a 3rd hydraulic lift setup for the 3112V already). The implements from the HB-216 and 3112V would all interchange, except for perhaps the tiller due to different drive systems.... Plus, it would be kind of like having a matched pair -- one red/orange and one yellow. They're not quite the same, but awful close. Hmmmm.... wonder what the Big Ten would be worth, without the hydraulic lift and high/low....

I would definately keep the big 10, It looks great, and i always wanted one that looked similar to yours. Im not really bothered about the HB, I like the round hood and ags better too, also the headlights. I think it looks like a really nice tractor.