Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4211 won't start

mjbcmj

Hello, All! We have a 4211 that won't start. It was running great and my son stopped to fill up the gas. When he got back on, nothing. Like a dead battery (but it's not, the lights fire up!). It has sat over night and still nothing. I disconnected the battery and starter from the 'coil' and hooked them up directly. The battery is strong as it turns the starter and motor with no trouble. Hooked it all back up (to the coil and the little two pronged unit on the side)and I am back to the dead silent turn of the key. Any help or words of encouragement? Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response! I am headed out to do the 'cleaning' but, it appears I need a wheel puller to get the steering wheel off to get to the switch. Is that right? Thanks!

Ok. I wondered about that, earlier, BUT, didn't want to assume! I'll let you know what I find! Thanks, again!
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Take the thru bolt out and it should tap of with a hammer.

could it be something simple as a saftey switch such as the mower still engaged or maybe not in neutral? no offense but I have overlooked some of these things myself. worked on a friends boat half a day once and finally thought about the deadman kill switch---yep thats what it was.

Ya know... (Ha, ha!) Well, I went out and took apart that gas tank cowling thing and got the switch out. The connectors were a little dirty/rusty. Took it in a cleaned 'em up real good. Still didn't start. Hmmmm. That's when I thought about the safety switches. Our other tractor had 'em, but, would a 20 year old machine have them? Got around and looked for errant wires in strange places and sure enough, one to the transmission and another to the blade release. Pulled 'em apart and made sure the microswitch was clear, put 'em back and... it cranked up! I have no idea why it decided then to do whatever it was, but... Thanks, again, to both of you, for the ideas and help!