Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Plowing

maxtorman1234

Got the plow on the 725 today, and plowed the garden. Had engine troubles again, runs for a while then runs like total junk. Let it cool off, start it a few times because it wont keep running and let it sit till it sorts itself out. Took about 2 hours, but it looks good. No seat and manual lift make it real work. Put bigger tires on the rear, tightned the limited slip, and it pulls the plow with turf tires and no weight. Over all, it was pretty fun though. Never plowed before, or worked with a 41 year old tractor. I think its pretty decent for its age. Might need a new set of rings, nothing else seems too worn. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0005.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0006.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0007.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0008.jpg[/img]

looks like it all rolled over good. Was it a little on the wet side or do you have some real clay in that garden? Looks like some big lumps to break down.

Thanks,,It smokes a bit, we think its valves and rings. Im surprised what it did with turfs, no chains or weights.

looks like a simplicity plow and you sure went deep down.was that the tractor you were using? hard to believe it could do that! I just joined up here and my name is weaver martin,looks like a lot of good tractor knowledge here.wm

Wow Grahm! Looks like you done a heck of a job with that plow! I have never tried plowing without the hydrolift but I have used the tiller with the armstrong lift and it can wear you down.You should put your snow blade hitch on the front to give yourself some counter balance weight. P.S. Is your butt sore from using that rare cardboard seat? ;) :D

Looks great. The key to a great looking plowing is the moisture content of the soil. As a kid on the family farm we had 40 or 50 acers of bottom ground very black hard dirt. My dad would not let us boys plow it unless it was just right. To wet and it would roll over and just sit there. Hard as hell and no disking or cultivater could do much with it. Just the right amount of moistuer in the ground and it would turn over and crumble. But you did a great job for your first time.

Yep, thats the tractor i used, and i figure i was going about 10" deep. With 7.25HP. And yep, that rare seat it hard on the butt, best part is its cheap though;). A lot of big lumps, and the dirt is real clay. Too bad something has to go now so I can pay for the 410S i just won on e-bay, my 710 isnt worth anything, the 400's are staying and so is the 917. That only leaves the 725. Well, i need the money anyways, but still not 100% i can part with it.

Can't you find something else to sell?? That looks to be a pretty decent FDT, and appears you had a bunch of fun plowing with it.

Max, sounds like you don't really want that 725, If you did want it, you shouldn't have bought something you couldn't afford.

Chris, I don't think that's it at all. Max is into 300 and 400 series tractors, and he simpley found another. I think he's doing ok for a young fella.

I plowed an acre of sod last fall. I have disk it with a very old set of garden tractor disk that I had given me when I bought my Big Ten. I put a three board drag behind the disk the last time over so the ground would be level and make running the corn planter over it easier. I had to quit because the Big Ten with turf tires and chains was struggling to pull it. I have ordered a set of Greenball Jumbo Lugs to put on it. We shall see if it is too much for the Big Ten then.