Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116 Hydro lift

Ronald Hribar

finished installation of rear hitch on my 7116. Mounted my tiller. Kit said elctric lift recommended for tiller. What is the reason for that? Also it seems like the lift lever moves a long way to the front of the tractor. Does that sound like worn linkage? It raises and lowers very nice. Once I get all the bugs worked out,I will change oil and filter for the Hydrostatic. Another thing that i noticed was that the pto for the tiller shuts off nicely. Was not that way on the 3314H.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
Kit said elctric lift recommended for tiller. What is the reason for that?
An electric lift will save your arm muscles. The manual lift will work just fine if you're up to it.
quote:
Also it seems like the lift lever moves a long way to the front of the tractor. Does that sound like worn linkage?
No..... It sounds like you have to "fine tune" the cable length for the rear lift.
quote:
Another thing that i noticed was that the pto for the tiller shuts off nicely. Was not that way on the 3314H.
The 3314H doesn't have a cone clutch. The 7116 does.

I was not clear or provide enough information with my questions. My 7116 has Hydro lift. I installed the rear lift kit with the cable and the rear lift. Instructions with kit stated electric lift reomended with tiller. It sounded like the hydro lift was not recommended for the tiller. And when using lift with tiller it works very nicely. When lifting lever is in rearward position and works great, but to lower tiller I have to move lever as far forward as I did with manual lift on 3314. I thought maybe I should only have to move lever a few inches forward as most valves work. So question was is this design or do I have worn linkage?

It probably was printed that electric was recommend because most tractors came with a manual lift and they print the manual that way so that they didn`t have to print different manuals. It is printed this way in the manual for my 38 inch heavy duty tiller and the tiller I think weighs around 300 to 350 pounds I don`t think that you could lift this tiller off the groud with manual lift or even want to. So they recommend the eletric lift. I have a 7016H that came with electric lift as a option and the other choice was manual lift since hydralic lift wasn`t a option until the 7100 series tractors. I think that it is designed that way because on my 917H I have to do the same thing when lifting and lowering the 46 inch dozer blade.

The reason for (recommend electric lift) is that was the only power lift option available at the time. Hydro lift was not available for the 3300, 3400, 7000, series. It sounds like you have your rear lift cable installed wrong. You didn't state what tiller you are useing. When the cable is installed right for the 36" tiller when you move your hydro handle to the rear the tiller should lift. When you move the handle to the front the tiller should go down. With the 38"HD tiller when the cable is installed correctly you move the handle to the rear to lower the tiller and you move the handle to the front to raise the tiller.

those are the instructions that came with lift and I have the 38 inch tiller. The problem is not with the cable, it is with lever and the extremes it goes from raising to lowering. I will rephrase question How far does a Hydro lift handle move. I'm talking about the top of the handle. Mine moves 21 inches from full up to full down.

Ronald You stated that you had to move your control lever forward to lift the tiller. With the cable installed correctly for the 38"HD tiller moveing the control handle forward would lift the tiller and moveing it to the rear position should lower the tiller. Are you useing the cable pulley when set up fot the 38"HD tiller? The cable pulley and guard are not used with the 38"HD tiller installed. (Step 7 above) You did not say you had the 38"HD tiller. I was going with what you stated. Both my tractors with hydraulic lift are Sundstrand hydrostatic with hydraulic lift The 7790 has the same control handle your 7116 has and it only has 9" of travel full front to full rear. The HB-116 has a short modified handle on it and it's travel is only 6"full front to full rear. The valve rod in both control valves only moves about ¾" total in both directions full in to full out. This leads me to the conclusion that you have a lot of slop in the linkage to the control valve.

I messed up, I did not check instructions well enough. I have cable in front hole instead of rear hole. I wonder other than opposite operation for tiller and any other rear mounted equipment if that would create any problems. I am used to that mode of operation on my 3314H. Is there a diagram that particuliarly shows top of control valve with clearances or specifications, that I might be able to see what is wrong with my linkage to valve. I hope hole in valve is not worn.

The valve is push pull. I would think any wear would be in holes and pins in linkage. This should be easy to fix with bushings.

Checked Simplicity parts manual, while it shows parts , I will have to take linkage apart to see what is worn, and it appears there are two types of valves of which the spool if worn is replaceable.. Thanks for the reponses. I dread sticking my head up in that area again, think I better clean up tractor before I go back.

quote:
Checked Simplicity parts manual, while it shows parts , I will have to take linkage apart to see what is worn, and it appears there are two types of valves of which the spool if worn is replaceable.. Thanks for the reponses. I dread sticking my head up in that area again, think I better clean up tractor before I go back.
Here's the picture of the valve. The short shiny stem is the valve and the links above it.

Thanks for the picture. I did not realize it would be accessible from the top. Looks like possibly the attachment point on the lift lever could wear. The chain link or the spool in the vavle would be of hardened steel. Or the chain link may be the wrong size. Thanks again, a picture is worth a thousand words.