Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
D-17_Dave

Onan charging systems.

D-17_Dave
Went out today to mow with my recently fixed 620 and found the chargeing system puttig out about 18 volts to the bat.[:0]Did the normal look and see ckecks and found a bad crimp on a wire but the repair didn't help the problem. So I unpluged the rectifier and regulator and just mowed about 1.5hrs and thought I'd check on S-T, and see what I could find. When I got on I remembered seeing something on the subject and sure enough, Al Eden had posted a repair guide so I coppied it off so I would have the directions with me in print at the shop. Worth the price of membership? ;)Definately. Only ? is I've noticed on some CCKA's the ey used a different chargeing system with a regulater/retifier assebly mounted under the flywheel with the stator. What's the diff if any, other than the configuration? Was one better than the other? Still new at these ONANS. Got a PERFORMER 24 last weekend and I'm looking foward to getting it in the 620 but it will probably be a few mounths on that:(

powermax_paul
The CCKA 16 HP motors used a 15 amp charging system, whereas the CCKB 19.5 HP used a syncro 20 amp system. Was the 18V measurement actually across the battery terminals?

D-17_Dave
Yea, took about 30 seconds for it to come up and peg my bat. tester meter. noticed the bat. boiling over on a couple of cells and got to looking. Does'nt show any realtime damage to the bat, though. mowed and the bat. stayed up with only a 5amp discharge with the ignition and clutch load. I have a bigger bat. than needed anyway, so running out of juice wasn't a concern for now. Just something else to fix that's hard to get too.

Leroy
Haveing a good understanding of the onans electrical system would be quite helpful. I have a 20 or 19.5 horse Onan that i don't understand either. Your problem seems easy enough to resolve for a short time. Over regulation is no doubt causing the over charging. Replacing the regulator seems like the ticket.

powermax_paul
You probably need a new regulator. For CCKB (assumed cuz you have a 620) P/N 191-0939. $51 at Sears Parts Direct [url]http://www3.sears.com/[/url] Search in third category for "part number" 191-0939 (include the dash). Paul

PMax4041
If you are near a Cummins Dealer they can get you all the info you need as well as parts I just finished a Major rebuild on my cckb and they had all the parts in stock and they also got me a service manual Jim