Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16HP Kohler-No Power -Last Time (I Hope)

Kent

The tractor has been using oil and smoking a bit. I put the head back on w/ new gasket and mowed for about 10 minutes before the knock grew worse and she died. Did some checking today and found that the local machine shop would do a complete rebuild, bore and new piston, valve job etc. for $550. The small engine dealer in the area has new K341S engines complete w/ carb for $875. I do not have the time or the tools necessary to rebuild myself and I mow 4 1/2+ acres weekly and really need the tractor running. I don't trust my $250, 1973 3416H to mow that much grass w/o problems. Any advice? Brent

Good_Ole_JR
Thanks to all for you input. Posting these questions and getting all your opinions has been a great help. I'm still pondering a third option. Shelling out $7 or 8 grand for a 60"+ cut Derby, Dixon or Skag to cut my mowing time down from about 6 hours to 3 or 4, and rebuilding the 916 this winter. Again, many thanks to all you thoughtful members of this fine club! Brent Baumer

FiremanRon
Brent a new K341S for $875 is a great bargain. Where are you located? I would be interested in a complete engine for that price! Here in Wisconsin a new complete K341S is all but extinct and to buy one part by part route would cost over $2,000. The rebuid for $550 sounds resonable. MS

Brent I would suggest the new engine as is will come complete with everything new and a one year warranty. If you can do some of the work yourself rebuild is a cheaper way to go if not then complete engine is just as cheap in the long run. Put a new engine on will take a lot less time and get you up and going quicker. Larry

There is a place here called Roy Padgett Sales just north and east of Muncie, IN. He buys out shops that are going out of business and re-sells the inventory. He has hundreds,if not thousands, of small engines. Most new in the box. A friend of mine bought a new, cast iron, 8HP Kohler for a 66 JD 110 there last year for $600 and it was an exact replacement. He has tons of cheap Briggs as well. His new engines may actually be quite old, just never out of the box. I think he'll ship anywhere. The phone # is 765-768-6725