Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hints or tips on power washing??

JoeJ

Watch out puting the tip of the washer into small U haped areas as it will direct the flow and debris back at you. IMOP use some goggles or face mask to protect your eyes. Other than that, have fun.

I was told it is best not to power wash my mower decks to prevent water from getting in the bearings. Does anyone else agree or disagree with that?

Agree with what the others have said. Dont think I would use a PWasher on the whole tractor mabe just certain parts, wheels, hood, fenders,,,ect. I would stay away from anything that is hot, has bearings, gaskets or any type of seal or opening. Wear boots, a strong PWasher will do a dandy of a job on your toes. I have one and only use it on my wood deck and vynle house. Also if you do decied to do your wood deck while you have it. If you washer starts to lift the fibers {look like peach fuzz} dont put the washer tip any closer to the wood, you are close enough IMHO. I have had great succes with using just the washer and water, no chemicals. Have fun with it :) Also great for cleaning cement.

I have always like to have things warm if I powerwash them. I would run the engine for a while, then give it 10-15 minutes to cool off. That way the electrical parts will dry quickly. I often start things as soon as I can after powerwashing. If they don't start like normal, I wait until they dry. Maybe even putting them in the sun.

The first (and last) time I powerwashed, I blew the "7018" decal off the hood of my tractor. Still ticked about that. Be careful and don't get too close or you'll lose things that are hard to replace. I now use hot water and a soft brush. DaveM

I agree with DaveM, a pressure washer won't do a mirracle clean job. It won't take off greasy spots from paint. Warm water, soap and a sponge will clean as well or better. The best use of a pressure washer IMOHO, is to clean up the tires and decks after mowing. Rob

I just pressure washed my 101 last week. Stay away from the points, and the engine flywheel housing. The pionts housing should not be to durty but any water in there will stop it from running. The flywheel is a durty place and needs to be cleaned regularly but best done by opening it up. The pressure washer will just blow it inside more. Also it will short out the coil and rust the area around the magnet and be hard to start or not at all. I say this from my experence last week, mine would not start till I opend the points cover and blew it out with compressed air as well with the wet coil. I let it set in the sun about a hour and I had spark again.

Thanks gang, First off we have to change the nozzle, it has the pin point one. MartyB)hehehehe, all in due time sir.