Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstrand Hydro Leak Question

Mike

I finally am getting around to fixing the hydro leak on my 916H. I powerwashed it this weekend. I have been having a steady pool of fluid on the ground for a while now. It seeps just sitting. After cleaning it off I noticed that it seems to be seeping fluid from where the aluminum part of the pump meets the castiron casting. Has anyone made this type of repair before? Thanks in advance as always. Mike

According to the parts manual, there is no gasket between the hydro pump and the transmission case. Gasket eliminator (RTV or Permatex) is called out. Getting the hydro and transmission units apart is the big part of this job.

Hi, This is not an uncommon problem. It is not to bad to fix. After you unbolt the pump assy from the lower [gear case] remove the o-ring andclean the surfaces of the pump and lower case. [really clean] coat both surfaces with a thin coat of 515 loctite sealant. Has the consistancy of and appearance of grape jelly. Install a new o-ring and reassemble. This has fixed probably 50 of these over the years for me. Normally when you disassemble it, you will find the o-ring was damaged when the unit was assembled. My 2 cents worth and its free. Value accordingly. Good luck, Al Eden

On the 1998 models like I had there was a service bulletin on improperly installed O ring seals for that.

Thanks guys, From the repair guide I make the o-ring out to be #1651704. I'll order a new filter and o-ring and give it a shot. Any tips on keeping the return hose from kinking, this has given me trouble before. I'm just using non preformed hoses.

Well apparently this o-ring is nla #1651704. what are the chances of finding a close sized one at the hardware store?

According to my diagrams this is an O-ring on a plug Ref.#27 The 0-ring on the pinion shaft is part# 1651703 and is still available. I think this is the one you need. This download might help you it is section 10 Hydrostatic transmission of the large frame repair manual [url]http://simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_973_01_SV_SMA_Sec10.pdf[/url]