Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I'm back & have a carb problem

deerhunter

Hi, I've been out of touch with this site for the past couple years, but I used to go by the user name Luther, anyway. I have a 716H and just bought a simp 7116. The new one is in great condition but I'm having a carb problem. When running at full throttle, it misses & pops. new points, plucg & coil. I drained the gas, cleaned the lines, and changed the filter, still the same. i took the carb a part and when doing so broke the needle nozzle that is at a 45 degree angel from the bottom. I got a rebild kit, but I can't seem to get the long neddle nozzle seated properly, Before breaking it I did see how it sat in the carb. The problem is that when it gets tight/bottoms out, I do not have enough room to get the needle valve in that goes behind it. ANY SUGGESTION, or a expanded veiw diagram??? PS: yes I will be a dues paying member!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a tough one. If I am hearing you right the nut that holds the actual needle valve to the carb is bottoming out inside the carb. If this is true then I would try to shave some of the material off of that nut, so it will screw into the carb the proper amount. Ryan

This is on a briggs engine, The nozzle has about 1/2" of threads at one end. It thereads into the bottom part of the carb. Then a needle/adjusting valve threads into a lock nut. Once I thread the nozzle and it contacts the body of the carb just under the butter fly, the lock nut will not thread in far enough and seat against the body of the carb. Am I making sense?

tried to shoot you a expanded view but I'm not smart enough so I'll tell you where to get it for yourself. Go to home page-click on KC MOWER SHOP-click on briggs logo-click on briggs engine info-click on download owners manual-click on illustrated parts list then you enter your engine model no. which in your case should be 326400 and type which is on the cowling of the motor. Hope this gives you what you need.

looking back at the diagram I have it looks as though there is a gasket between the nozzle and the locknut and a spring and two gaskets then the needle valve. Does it seemlike this is what you are dealing with?

Yes, this is exactly what I'm dealing with (thanks for the diagram)As you mentioned there is a gasket, only it doesn't go between the nozzle and lock nut. It sits right between the the back of the lock nut and the body of the carb. It actually goes over the threads of the lock nut. When I tighten the lock nut down it bottoms out on the nozzle before the gasket touches the body of the carb. I'm really missing some thing with installing the nozzle

Tim, Are you sure that when you screwed the nozzle in that it entered the recess in the upper carb body? If it didn't, it will not screw in far enough without breaking or bending the nozzle.

I agree with Greg. It's easy to put the jet in and it miss the upper hole in the upper carb body. this will cause the jet to bind and possibly not seat in all the way. The jet should go in with about a half inch of thread showing to put the needle in the houseing. If it won't go in you have part of the jet still in the upper housing, or bad threads where the jet was removed and you just can't screw the jet in far enough. Take it back out and chase the threads with a .25 fine thread tap. I think it's .25". Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, and try to put it in again. It also could be, but I dought it, that the needle is screwed too far into the packing nut. Back it out and try to install the needle, but you said the jet was only allowing a thread or so showing so I don't think that's it. Hpoe this helps, and welcome back, Dave.

WOW that's the picture that I need. I must have missed seeing the cavity that the needle had to go into. I didn't want to fool around and break the nozzle again. Now I just hope that this solves my coughing & sputtering at full throttle. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care how he cut it. All I know is was very helpful This imformation alone was worth the annual dues. Check is in the mail. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!!!!!! Tim

Hi Tim, I just wanted to correct you and make sure you didn't misunderstand me. I had replaced the points, spark plug & "CONDENSER", not the coil. I did mention that I had checked the resistance of the magneto(coil). I just wanted to clear that up in the unfortunate event the carb isn't the problem. Sorry again for the problems that I thought I had fixed. Keep me posted on what you find. Dan