Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Muffler replacement

mshowar

I am looking for a Muffler fix. I replaced the Engine in my Simplicity 3410S and the muffler that came with the new engine is a small square box that sits right off the exhaust port. Unfortunately, It sticks out too far and I can't put my hood back on. I still have the muffler that was on my old engine (canister type). However, I think it might be a little worn out because I can hear pieces inside rattling when I shake it. The thing that is nice about the old one is that it mounted infront of the engine via an elbow off the exhaust port so I could close my hood. Should I just use my old muffler or can I get a replacement that will work? Mark

On my 3410,I used a small pipe,and elbow,and bought a round can type muffler. It's angled toward the front,and sticks out of the hood a little bit. I can get a picture if you need one. I wasn't about to pay upwards of $60-70.00 for a new replacement muffler.

quote:
Originally posted by mshowar
I am looking for a Muffler fix. ------------------- snipped ---------------- Should I just use my old muffler or can I get a replacement that will work? Mark
Mark, here's an option if you want something different. I put a vertical IH Cub muffler on my 3410H (repowered with a B/S cast iron 16 hp). The muffler, two short pipe nipples, and one elbow - plus the flapper - cost less than $30. It is, however, significantly noisier than the original.

And, apologies to everyone for the Bolens G14 in the picture!!

Where can I order this part from?:D
quote:
Originally posted by gregc
You can get a replacement. The part no. is 1685505.