Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lawn Roller Q

Boney

I feel embarrasd to ask this question but once you have put in your new lawn what else can you use a lawn roller for? Thnx Herm

I plann on using one for my rodent problem. also I bet it would come in handy with thouse winter mishaps. Elon

I use mine every spring to smooth out the little humps/bumps caused by frost heaves during the winter... I rolled my yard and one other neighbor's lawn on Saturday, while two other neighbors borrowed my roller on Sunday to roll their own yards.... Then on with the lime and fertilizer, and aerating it so that it'll get down to the roots....

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Kent, do you roll before you aerate or after?
Not Kent here, but I'll sneak in a reply. A roller just like yours (but mine never did have that funny piece of wood you had to dispose of!) and a plug aerator have been in my arsenal for years . . .and used every spring. I have aerated both ways, but generally roll first. The plugs from aerating are not noticable after a very short time, especially if you get a rain. May be my imagination, but I never wanted to aerate first because the roller would diminish the holes where plugs were pulled out. I usually aerate once mid-summer, too.

I'm not expert, but here's what I've heard and it makes sense: Aerate in the fall after your yard has been tramped down all summer to allow water to get down to the roots. That's also a good time to reseed. If you want, you can roll the lawn in the spring to even out any front heave. However. a few mowings with your Simplicity and you will probably take care of any frost heave anyway. I have heard that aerating in the spring is not the best because the ground has already been naturally "aerated" by the freeze/thaw cycle. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

If I use a core aerator, I aerate before rolling, then use the roller to break the cores up when they're dry... I have only a spike aerator, so I typically aerate after I roll...

down south in Louisiana we let the crawdads aerate our lawns but I sure would like to use one of those rollers after they get through to mash the crawdad castles down instead of mowing them down.

After the first thaw in the early spring my roller helps my yard stay smooth. First go one direction then maybe just befor the first mow and right after a nice rain i roll the other direction. It dose not do that much but it makes me feel better.

quote:
Originally posted by Boney
I feel embarrasd to ask this question but once you have put in your new lawn what else can you use a lawn roller for?
I only roll a lawn when I first plant seed. In my area, after a lawn is established I don't feel a need to roll it. Rollers can also be used for mole tunnels and for compacting gravel or stone driveways. A few years ago I needed a large roller when I installed a RAP (Reprocessed Asphalt Product) parking lot. I made a roller and used it for that one job. Since then I have not used it but many friends and neighbors have. It's one of those attachments that I'd probably be better off renting (if I could) when needed. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/roller.jpg[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by roma3112
that is one Heck of a roler!! What does that sucker weigh full of water? [:0]
Empty it weighs about 300#....... Full about 1500#.

MY Girlfriends lawn probably hasn't been rolled in the last 20 years. I was thinking of core aerating then rolling then aerate again and fertilze it VERY BUMPY.