Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Somethings wrong with this Picture

MPH
I've had this two foot roller laying around this place for about 20 years, never used it, had the axle shaft on one side broke loose, so I fixed that today

But that wasn't what caused my confussion, this device did

Sooo, I fixed that deal too

Full of water it should weigh about 200lbs, was a little disappointed on how little affect it had on the rocks in the soft driveway, which was my reason for fixing it.

Roy
Marty, At 200 pounds the unit pressure (force per square inch) is fairly low. Water is a little over 8 pounds per gallon so 200 lbs works out to about 25 gallons. You sure the roller doesn't hold more than 25 gallons (about half a drum)? Sounds like the roller worked more like a high flotation tire than a roller. Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

MPH
Think I did the math right Roy, its 18 inches in dia and 2 foot wide, I figured 26 gals full, parked at a good angle, but figured I missed at least one gallon from full. Guess pushng by hand 200 lbs be plenty.

I've got ruts all over my back lawn from driving trucks and loaders on it recently. I'd like to know if a roller would fix this. I'll be interested if you figure your roller out. I was thinking maybe I would roll after a rain storm? I don't own a roller yet and I'm not sure if it will help with what I need to do.... thoughts?

MPH
You may get some of the sharpness rolled out of the edges of the tire tracks but I don't think you'll roll it flat again. Not as many lbs/sq inch being put down. Sounds like you need a plow. Maybe fill the ruts with new dirt a little at a time so the grass grows through it, I did this with a ready Mix truck front tire track a few years ago, took all summer.

HubbardRA
MIchaelg221, Fill your ruts with dirt. Put a layer of top soil or potting soil on top and rake it in. Cover with grass seed till it looks lightly green. Cover with straw. Water nightly just at dark. Soak the ground a good 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep. As soon as the grass comes up about an inch remove the straw. If there are any bare spots, more potting soil and more grass seed and continue the watering. I put three pickup loads of fill in my front lawn to cure water drain problems. Filled some areas 10 inches deep. Did it in the spring. Used the technique above. By end of summer you could not tell the filled area from the rest of the yard. Takes some work and persistence, a few bucks, but mainly 5 to 10 times the recommended grass seed placed in some very rich soil.