Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 5015 diesel engine problem???

gretsch

Calling all diesel engine experts: Finally got around to seeing the AC 5015 4x4 I mentioned in a previous post. The tractor shows around 800 hours and seems to be in pretty good condition. However the motor is a little hard to get started when cold and then it smokes(black) pretty good for a few minutes. After this, the exhaust clears up just fine. The injectors have been replaced recently, so I am wondering what could be causing this to happen. Thanks.

Check Injection Pump Timing there may also be an adjustment on the pump for how far the rack travels for fuel delivery and someone may have changed that setting to try and acheive more power. is it a nipendenso pump?

does engine have glowplugs?? if so are they working? also if compression was bad enough the engine would smoke white indicating incomplete combustion. another possibility would be poor fuel what is the cetane rating on the fuel? but I am thinking you will find something with the pump adjustment. also if it has an electric fuel shut off solenoid check to make sure it is moving fully and not partially closed

Clean burning after startup indicates the engine is in pretty good shape. Grey to black exhaust at start up is incomplete combustion and I would also see if glo-plug circiut is working.

I have a 16hp kubota that does the same thing after my grandson let it get too hot while mowing. I think when it got so hot it may have hardened the valve seals and is allowing oil to seep into the cylinders and on initial start-up it smokes until it burns that oil then clears up until it sets idle long enough to allow oil back into cylinders.imho

Thanks ya'll. It does have glow plugs. The longer you use them prior to starting the easier it is to start (but still longer glow plug time and cranking time than normal). I do not know what kind of injection pump it has, though it is a Japanese built tractor with a Toyosha diesel engine (at least according to all the info here). It probably only smoked for about 30 seconds but the owner stated that it takes longer to start and smokes longer in colder weather. Maybe one or two glow plugs are bad? I was contemplating buying it but not sure now (don't want something that needs expensive/extensive engine work up front). Anymore input is appreciated. Thanks.

It just might be glow plugs only and that doesn't mean major engiine work. Another thing you can do is put in a water heater to get around the glow plugs.

If you can get the egnine under load and see if it still makes the black smoke. My Kubota 2 cylinder would do that. Black at start up, clear while sitting there or driving on flat ground, but as soon as you drove up a hill or turned on the mower the black smoke would just poor out. Rebuilt injectors and have had no problems since. Also my kubota will blow black smoke while it is COLD and when it worms up its fine. William Jordan

I've said it before and I know its simple But replace the air filter... The amount of fuel your getting at start-up may be just right, But not enough air. Easy enough to find out. Cold start it without the air filter. It will either start better or not and don't cost a thing. The second thing I would look at would be injectors. Yea, I know.. You'll hear people say that when their injectors went bad the engine ran bad on high speed or some such.. And that can very well happen. But if your injectors are spraying a stream instead of a fog,,, Cold starts can take a while. 3rd thing low compression. Low compression on a diesel will do exactly what your talking about...( And seeing that you said the engine had been run hot...... I hope this is not your problem. Last...Low pump pressure... As to someones thinking injector timing ? IMO injector timing will cause trouble across the board.. Not just on start-up. If your injector timing is late, Not only will you have slow starts but you will have a weak engine once warm. If the timing is early, your engine will knock like a thrashing machine. In fact you'd be hard pressed to make more noise with a hammer ! Good luck..