Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Ronald Hribar

Brakes on Tractor?

HubbardRA
Ron, I was kicking around the idea of installing a set of disk brakes from a Cub Cadet onto an AC for the purposes of having steering brakes. It wouldn't be too difficult, but it would take some fabricating of mounting adapters. Biggest difficulty is mounting to the wheel hub on the differential side. I brought this up in a previous post. I had seen the Cub brake setup on a tractor that I got, but passed on to a friend since I really didn't need a Cub. If you want some really awesome brakes, you need to mount a set of motorcycle rotors, with hydraulic calipers and master cylinders. Been there-done that, but not on a Simplicity or AC.

Ronald Hribar
If the lug bolts were long enough could the rotors be bolted to wheel hub? Or is the problem with the caliper mounting? Did you give any thought where the pedals would be located? One on each side of tractor? Master cylinder for each? I do not pull tractors ,but would this be allowed?

sandyhillbill
Sunstar 20 has got indivual rear wheel brakes but I have never used the brakes and don't really know how they are set up. The problem with them is with the hydrostatic when you apply the brakes it automaticly moves the ground speed control toward neutral. It also has a split pedal like a bigger farm tractor.

HubbardRA
Ron, If you want to use this type of brake on a pulling tractor, you will have to check the rules to see if this type of modification is allowed. In the SVTPA where I pulled, this would not be allowed in stock classes. I did build a system using the motorcycle brakes for a modified (motorcycle engine) tractor. What I was thinking about recently with the Cub brakes was for steering a work tractor in snow or mud and allowing sharper turns on dry ground. They can also be used to stop one wheel from spinning. Whether you can mount the rotors directly to the hub will depend on interference with the wheel and tire, and also how the caliper can be mounted.