Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Simplicity

dbarhydt

I know this forum is for old tractors but I am buying a new one. Are the new Simplicity's good tractors? I need a new tractor but there are so many out there and I dont want any junk.I am 53 years old and wnat one to last till I quit mowing. I can spend about $3000 on the tractor. Plus I want a snow blower attachment.A local dealer sells Simplicity and they look very nice.

Denis while your 3k is nothing to sneeze at, it wont come close to buying you a brand new simplicity, i think the snowblower attachment alone for just about any of their new models is around a grand. NOW if you dont mind buying a used machine and maybe fixing up a few things that 3k will get you quite a bit. Out here in the boston area there are not many simplicity dealers, heck there arent many tractor dealers period, that is unless you count home depot and lowes (NOT!!!!) but nontheless out where you are i cant imagine a look in the local bargan hunter paper cant turn up a few good used simplicities or AC tractors. You may be abel to find an older "sovereign class " tractor which would mow and blow withought batting an eyelash. I am sure some of the gang may have some other suggestions for you. good luck john

Dennis I have to agree with John. I was in the same boat as you, and finding out that a new Simplicity/John Deere/Kubota or what have you, that would mow a couple of acres, push snow and other odd jobs was better than $5000 floored me. My solution was a 1991 Simplicity 17GTH-L with low hours at a local dealer for $1100. With the difference I saved I was able to pick up a new 5'x10' trailer, my 3012V with implements,two B-10s,a BigTen and have money left in the bank! Realising time and mechanical interest(or lack of) may be a factor, I'd look for a late model tractor in good shape and save the money for other things. Besides, the large frame tractors thru the late 1990's have the rear lift available for tillers,plows,rear blades and a host of other great tools. Larry kg4zar

You must first consider the amount of time you will be spending on the machine before you can set your price range. If you are mowing 5 acres and blowing a 1/4 mile driveway every other week you will not get a machine that will last, if you stick to $3000.00 price range. Alot of people make that mistake and buy a lower priced,undersized machine and they wear it out long before they are done needing it. If you have a small lawn and driveway you can hook up with a Regent hydro and possibly a walk behind snowblower for your $3000.00 limit.

sir if you spent a month looking at the tractors you could buy used for under 1k and still bought a new one maybe you should not buy any tractor until you do more research? just a thought.wm

I have two newer Simplicity Tractors for mowing, A 1999 Landlord DLX, 20hp, 50 inch deck, with Power Steering and Hydraulic lift; I use this one to mow two acres. The other is a 1999, Broadmoor, 14hp, 38 inch deck; which I use to mow one half acre. Both tractors have automatic foot controls and twin cylinder, Briggs Vanguard engines. One of the best features of the machines is the short turning radius. With the short turning radius and the foot controls, these machines are excellent for cutting grass. As far as quality, it is true that the newer machines do not have as heavy a frame as the older horizontal shaft Simplicities; however, they are more than strong enough. As far as the rest of these new machines the steering is as good as the older machines and I think the engines and transmissions are as good or better than the older machines. The only problem I have had in five years, is that a plastic pulley broke on one machine and the factory replaced it with an updated metal one free of charge, after the warrenty had expireed. However, these are not low-end machines, the Landlord was over $6,000 new and the Broadmoors almost $4,000 new. Also the attachments new are very expensive and used ones are very hard to find. I also have three older 7100 series, horizontal shaft, Simplicities that I use for other things. One has a Johnny Lift, one has a blade on the front and the other has a tiller. I guess it is a matter of opinion, money and what the machines are to be used for.

• 4 weeks later...
quote:
Originally posted by Kokomo
I have two newer Simplicity Tractors for mowing, A 1999 Landlord DLX, 20hp, 50 inch deck, with Power Steering and Hydraulic lift; I use this one to mow two acres. The other is a 1999, Broadmoor, 14hp, 38 inch deck; which I use to mow one half acre. Both tractors have automatic foot controls and twin cylinder, Briggs Vanguard engines. One of the best features of the machines is the short turning radius. With the short turning radius and the foot controls, these machines are excellent for cutting grass. As far as quality, it is true that the newer machines do not have as heavy a frame as the older horizontal shaft Simplicities; however, they are more than strong enough. As far as the rest of these new machines the steering is as good as the older machines and I think the engines and transmissions are as good or better than the older machines. The only problem I have had in five years, is that a plastic pulley broke on one machine and the factory replaced it with an updated metal one free of charge, after the warrenty had expireed. However, these are not low-end machines, the Landlord was over $6,000 new and the Broadmoors almost $4,000 new. Also the attachments new are very expensive and used ones are very hard to find. I also have three older 7100 series, horizontal shaft, Simplicities that I use for other things. One has a Johnny Lift, one has a blade on the front and the other has a tiller. I guess it is a matter of opinion, money and what the machines are to be used for.
It looks like you don't change implements very often. And your equipment may last a very long time since your not over useing any one of them. Your over 10 k on all your equipment now. Do you think that 10 to 15 k on a larger frame tractor with implements and a warrentee on them would have been a reasonable alturnative? I'm thinking One machine, one set of Idiosyncrasy’s on starting and usage. But then altzhiemers may have trouble getting ahold of your brain if you have to use it alot. I realize very few machines can beat the 7100 on mowing for the price.

Mr. D, I have two tractors that are almost 40 years old. My investment to purchase was $400. Both ran well but the decks were in need of repair. I am a tinkerer by nature, so working on them was fun and necessary. These two old tractors will last me the rest of my life, because I will keep them running. I have own brand new garden tractors. I spent 2k on my first new on 15 years ago. I was mowing about 3 acres then and it required constant attention with broken springs, etc. I have used one of my tractors, a B-12 Allis, over 1000 hours in about 3 years. I have the most trouble free tractor I have ever owned in this machine, and it is 37 years old! I have the prettiest yard in the neighborhood when the mowing is done. I have about $1k invested in total for repairs and equipment. If I had to buy new today, I would my bank, Simplicity, or someone finance what it took for me to buy a new Simplicity brand. It will be one of the better long term investments you make on a Item that you will use for years to come.

Dennis, I love all my old tractors, but the lower HP, small deck, machines just take too long to mow large acreage, and they bog down in wet grass. My vacation property is just east of the Fingerlakes and we get a lot of lake-effect weather. It takes me more than 4 hours to mow, even with my '94 16HP 50" Simplicity Lanlord, and when the grass gets wet, forget about it, even it has trouble throwing that slop. Annoyingly, I must slow to a crawl, jumping off every couple of minutes to clean out the clogged grass. But like the others say the cost of a new Simplicity is prohibitive, unless you're rich. Same with all the other "quality" brands. I have a second-hand old Craftsman 12hp. 38", that we have literally beat on for the past 5 years, and she still runs like a champ. It can almost keep up with my Simplicity, and it never clogs with grass. I have had small problems with it, but nothing a little weld here and there would not fix. This being the case, I have been pricing the newer Craftsmans. Here is a link to a $3000, Hydro, 27HP, 54" model. Can't vouch for the quality, but the price is less than half the comparable "quality" name brand. [url]http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=07127612000[/url] [img]http://content.sears.com/data/product_images/071/27612/07127612000-190.jpg[/img]