Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grease fittings.. they keep popping up...

I just found another grease fitting I didn't know about; nor did I see it in the maintenance manuals, laugh :) I was washing off the grease and dirt on my 3012 and low and behold there is a grease fitting on the clutch pedal. So now I am aware of the two on the front axle steering, the one on the mid-PTO, one on the rear axle and now the new one on the clutch pedal. I recently found two hidden grease fittings on the tiller I have, so that has 4. I found one on a steering control on the 101, but that's not on all my tractors. Besides this, I am having a problem on my 3112H. I have never seen a grease fitting have so much pressure I can't get the gun off the fitting. I changed the fitting and this still was happening. This is like I am not getting grease in the axle. Any thoughts on this. My first thought on this... this is a problem.

The have a tool that lets you pound oil into a grease fitting. I would assume they still make that unit. Another option.... as you are trying to get grease into the fitting, turn, move, slide or do something so the grease has an optional place to go. It may take a few greasings before it becomes easier to do.

[img]/club2/attach/dutch/gaski-2.jpg[/img] I bought the above GASKI-RAM-O about 1959 from Warshawsky (JC Whitney). I can only assume it, or a similar tool is still available. Check with JC Whitney, NAPA, Snap-On, Lisle, or other “specialty” tool dealer. Also, check with Plews, Lincoln, or other lubrication equipment supplier. Many younger (than me) mechanics have never seen or used this tool. I suppose with current extended service periods, new cars don’t get greased too often, and modern lubricants don’t “cake” up. Many times over the years this tool has saved me from heating or disassembling greaseable joints, or from replacing zerk fittings or sealed joints.

If the zerks are not listed in the manual the previous owner may have installed them. If the previous owner installed them the back side of the shafts that were zerk fitted may not have been prepaired for a grease path. And the zerk itself may be loaded up and the application of grease may be acting like pogo against the load to (a plug of gunk) to the shaft. Removing the zerk and using a needle grease applicator will get grease in there. Put a new zerk on and try to grease it

I am going to go and do more research into what's going on, get some photos and get back to you all. In the meantime while studying the manual, I came across some text which gave the part numbers for the optional chrome hub caps, I looked these up on Jacks' and they still list as available: 154505 CAP HUB 12 WHEE $22.74 156211 CAP HUB 8000DIA $12.96 This is a spare cash, one day it would be nice type of part.... though it get's in the way of weights.

Sometimes you have to loosen the tip of the grease gun that goes onto the fitting to get it to let go of the fitting. My experience,

I have heard that a standard run-of-the-mill grease gun can put out as much as 10,000 PSI(Yes, that's ten thousand pounds) when forced. I've actually blown out a flexible nozzle on a grease gun, trying to force Hi-Temp grease into the throttle rack on a big turbine. I had to put the gun between my legs and use my leg muscles along with my arms to do it, but it sure enough blew the hose out and the grease went about 20 feet and hit the windows of the control room....... lol

Evening All, I have had good luck using a porta-power pump on grease zerks that won't take grease. Just make up an adapter hose with the correct thread. Later, Chad

On heavy earth moveing equipment it is not uncomon for pins and bushings not to take grease. after a long time of not being greased or left with water or some other rust, or corosive agent on the steel pins or shafts the rust and dubris will collect in the bottom of the grease path below the zerk fitting next to the shaft causing a solid mass of gunk to block the pathway. Some tools I guese could forcefully move this blockage. I have always had to remove the zerk fitting and clean the blockage out from the top, or remove the pin or shaft and pump grease into it pushing the blockage out and reinstalling the pin,or shaft. Such extreams would not likely exist on something routinely serviced but something old and abused is very likely to have a few of these and reqire some type of corrective"surgery".

I have the same tool as dutch purchased from a local parts house about 1965 or so. First aplication of the tool will free up the check ball and the second or third will often clear the blockage. You need room to swing a hammer though. It may be easier just to replade the zerk. I just hate the press in zerks my 1920H and Sunstar have them on the front axel.

• 2 weeks later...
Update; Napa had no idea, but really enjoyed me reading some of this commentary. I cleaned out where the "Zerk" was and all I see is the shaft with no idea where the grease is suppose to go. In the meantime, I've applied some PB Blaster into that hole to see if I can clean this up. Still the grease gun is ejecting grease everywhere it seems, but the shaft. Could it be that this shaft is not assembled correctly? I don't see any groove where grease might go. Any more ideas?

BTW: I am trying to grease the shaft of a 3112H rear-end/differencial shown below. I'm going to see if I can find the assembly manual and look to see if there is a groove.

quote:
Originally posted by dutch I bought the above GASKI-RAM-O about 1959 from Warshawsky (JC Whitney). I can only assume it, or a similar tool is still available. Check with JC Whitney, NAPA, Snap-On, Lisle, or other “specialty” tool dealer. Also, check with Plews, Lincoln, or other lubrication equipment supplier.
I'm just a youngin, well older youngin (33) and I get all fuzzy warm inside when I get possession of old tools like this. I was born in the wrong generation, I would rather use my grandfather's old tools than some of the (sometimes more powerful) ones made today, not to mention my "old fashioned" views.
quote:
Many younger (than me) mechanics have never seen or used this tool. I suppose with current extended service periods, new cars don’t get greased too often, and modern lubricants don’t “cake” up.
They don't put grease fittings on new cars(atleast the ones I have worked on). I am amazed and pleasantly surprised whenever I buy a replacement part with a zerk fitting.

I had a 2000 S10, 4wheel drive pick up on the hoist this morning to do the front brakes and was very surprised to find every joint in the steering linkage was greasable including all four ball joints. They didn't look like it had ever been done but the zerks were there. As for your missing zerk, My Sunstar has a couple of pressed in zerks. I dislike these because they can be easily pulled out by the grease gun. Perhaps yours got lost in this way.

I thought the "zerk" was the grease fitting? Was I miss informed? Is the "zerk" the grease channel? I called Napa today and asked about the tool above. The guy never heard of it before, as I said, he was quite amused.

My mower deck for the 17-GTH L is a 48" unit. Each of the three blade arbors has a grease fitting. Lately, grease comes back out of one the fittings when I remove the grease gun. I've tried to remove the fitting with no luck. It doesn't seem to have a nut fitting that you can grab with a wrench. What's the deal with these? Are they possibly the press in type fitting?

The guy at your "NAPA" shouldn't be too amused,they do sell that tool,so does the car part store down the road .

You are so right! It's now called a "Ramo-matic". I'm going to call there tomorrow. I am going to have to take off the wheel on this tractor to get in there, but I am really wondering what is going to happen. When I use a grease gun, it comes out the zerk fitting threads and out the gun fittings; so that gun puts out some pressure. I can only guess that this tool pushes this "so-fast" that it doesn't matter. Below is the Napa link for anyone else to reference. THANK YOU!!! http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15613609&prmenbr=5806&usrcommgrpid= Item#: SER416 Price: $ 34.99 tax and shipping not included Usually ships in 24 hours. Attributes: Zerk Fitting Tool - Ramo-Matic Application: Clears Grease Fittings of Hardened Matter Around It Fitting Type: Straight & Angled Zerk Type Fittings