Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Restored 620 (updated with motor pics)

Vic

Finally got my 620 restored and here is the result. Thanks to StanD for his help with getting me started. I put the 24 HP Honda in it. Haven't driven it much so far but really like how quiet and smooth it is.

Looks like you did a really nice job with your restoration. Its neat that you used a Honda engine in the tractor.

Looks like a pretty clean installation. I can't help but wonder about the battery being located so close to the muffler. I realize the grill is open but the way the hood encloses it doesn't seem like it would allow for much circulation. Just how much heat can a batttery take before the plates warp or the case melts?

I agree with John on the battery. I would consider relocating it or doing some serious insultion work to keep the heat and the possibility of a spark doing some damage to a nice looking restoration job.

These PowrMax tractors came with a battery protection shield, so I been told, never have seen one. The exaust heat will ruin the battery. After I posted I decided to pull out my repair manual, on page 1-1 it shows the edge of the battery cover, looks to be held down with two springs on top of the a side post battery. Seems simple enough, if you use the recomended style of battery. Amazing what one might find in the manualsB)B)