Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Leaving a strip of grass

bubba_t _flubba

I have a friend with a 60" Toro zero radius turn mower. Last year he started to notice that about 10" in from the left edge was leaving a strip of grass about 1" wide. He tried knew blades, didn't help much. Speed didn't make any difference. It appears to be right where the front tire rides, changed air pressure, no help. Last night I went out to see what might be the problem. We took off the deck measured, checked for any thing bent, everything checked out fine. I got the spec's for the blades, the blades should be 20 1/2" I measured 20 3/8". He had the old set that it started to happen with they measured 20 3/8" also, I as stated earlier that worked fine for quite some time. We were thinking if we could find some high lift blades this might help. After we sharpened the blades and made a few adjustments on the deck it was better but not perfect, switched blade placement and the problem was still in the same spot. Also is there a proper blade timing that works best? Line them up straight across? Toro 724Z C5-60ZS03 Blade #112947

Not having the mower in front of me, and not having a clue as to how a Toro ZTR is set up,,,,You know you are shy 1/4th inch on blade lenght to start with so check the mower for " Dog trot ". We have all seen a truck or some such on the road in front of us that drives kinda sideways or where the rear-end don't follow in the same tracks as the front. On a mower deck with staggered blades, this will cause streaking and only on the side that is the most forward. You need to messure from the center of each drive axle to a spot on the deck on each side. If you can't see a difference, ease the mower deck up against a tree off center. Touch the tree with the side that DON"T streak and push gently. If you get much give, find out why and you've found your problem more than likely.. A Simple tractor like a B-10 or say a 7000 will do this if one pin is left out or broken for the front mounts. BTW, If the deck don't give check the drive axle to make sure its not loose. If it is it can do the same thing. Hope this helps, good luck.........

Another way to check tracking is to wet a spot with water on your drive or garage floor and drive though it and across the dry area leaveing tire tracks. If it is tracking straight both front and rear tires will make one mark. If it is dog tracking you will have 2 tire tracks on one side. the rear wheel tracks should be centered over the front tracks. If the track is wider on one side that is the side it is tracking to and should be on the same side as the uncut strip.

Thanks guys, I would have never thought of that. I will check it out and let you know what we come up with. I feel like I owe 10 times my dues now. Great information guys.