Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

BGB Seal

RayS

I changed the oil the other day in the BGB in the B 10 that I bought a couple of weeks back. I noticed yesterday a puddle of oil on the floor and found that it is coming from the cross shaft seal on the side that the drive belt is on. My questions is if I over filled this which I know that I did and thought after 10 minutes of lettering the excess run out of the elbow where you fill it, I would be okay. If there was still to much oil in the BGB wouldn`t the seal hold the oil in or would it come out the seal till it gets down to below the seal? It leaked it out after it had ran for about a half hour. I put oil dry down to clean the mess up. And ran it today and it doesn`t seem to have left any oil on the oil dry. Should I replace the seal or is it normal for it to leak till it gets below the seal? the BGB seems tight when you lift up and down on the cross shaft and theres only a 1/8 to 1/4 inch backlash or back and forth movement when you turn the cross shaft by hand. Thanks for any help. RayS

Ray I have a similar problem on the 7116 I bought last week and mine was filled to the brim with ATF and coming out the front seal. I replaced it with 80W-90 and got it to about two drips a day and hoping it will be less. If it doesn't completely dry up I am going to try an after market seal conditoner and see what that does. I your case of just overfilling and catching it right away, you might not have any real harm. Give it a month and then see where you are.

I put a mixture of 50 percent Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer and 50 percent 80W90 (or Simplicity Mulit-purpose Hydraulic/Transmission Oil)in my BGB's. The directions on the Lucas bottle says to use 50 to 100 percent in differentials and 50 percent in transfer cases. I have a BGB that is seeping and I put this mixture in the BGB last week; however, the tractor broke down and is outside and I have not been able to tell if it stopped the very small leak. This is a great product, not like the old STP. There is a post on 'LUCAS OIL Stabilizer', dated 4/11/04. This might solve your problem of leakage and in my opinion will add life to your BGB. Bob in Kokomo