Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3 speed tranny stuck in 2nd gear

pupper

Hello, I have a 1971 637 Yeoman (manual), that is stuck in second gear. I can move the shifter around but nothing happens. Simplicity Tractors are new to me, and I don't know anything about this tranny yet. I looked at the parts drawing and can't figure out what part actually lets it shift gears or cause this to not shift. Can anyone give me any ideas or suggestions before I tear it apart. Thanks, Pupper

Welcome to the club. These 3 speed transmisssions are pretty simple inside in that I would not be afraid to take it apart. First get a good repair manual, you can down load a PDF version for free from the simplicity site. Use a digital camera or a film camera to take pictures as you take it appart. As you take it apart you will probally see that one gear or another is binding or broke, which is causing your problem. Good luck, Ryan

mowerman1193
Sounds like a shift fork dropped off the shift key.I had one like that..The key is nothing more than just a roll pin and it gets worn and can let the fork drop down (mainly if your shifting in a hurry)..I fixxed mine by taking the fender off to get to the top side of the transmission then pulled the oil fill plug.I took a light and looked in and seen the fork dropped off the roll pin.I took a screw driver and pryed it back into place and its been fine ever since (3 years)... The best fix would be to split the case and replace the forks and roll pins..I will probably do that when/if I restore the tractor... Good luck..

Evening, Go to Resources click on articles and look at the links for transmissions stuck in gear and how some members have resolved their problems. Hope this helps, Later, Chad

Thanks all, I found my problem. It seems that the plastic tip off the top of a gear lube bottle had fallen in at one time or another and got stuck between two gears. Thanks again, Pupper