Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Conquest Surges

JohnF

I used my new 20 HP Briggs Conquest for the 1st time mowing this week. Engine has about 4 hours on it. The engine surges badly at max throttle, but runs smooth at up to 2/3 throttle. I really didn't notice it with the mower engaged. Any thoughts before I go back to my dealer? Thanks, John

I am unsure if the carburetors on the Briggs Vanguards in the Conquests are fixed jet or adjustable. If is is adjustable it may need alittle "tweeking". I would definitely contact your dealer and have them take a look at it. After all it is under a 2 year warranty and you should take advantage of that.

I would agree with r.s. if the carb is fixed jet it may be a prob with the Governor adjustment and that would be covered under warranty like your original prob of hunting. Definitely take advantage of that warranty

It is a fixed jet carb. I had one that did the same. Had to give the main jet an adjustment with a small drill. In your case, take it back till they fix it. Make them put on another carb if they cannot stop the surging otherwise. Surging means the engine is running lean. Not good!.