Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

5116 is overheating.

Hello- Just bought 5 acres and took my 5116 out of storage. I rebuilt the trans over winter and it is working fine. No problem blowing snow. Recently, the tractor has been overheating. This is the 16 hp twin cylinder. I was cutting the grass and it started smoking slightly. You could tell it was running a little hot. In fact you could smell it a little. Also, the exhaust is on the right hand side while driving, but I found that my left foot gets extremely warm. Also, when I shut it off, I ALWAYS get one loud bang! This is what I did: Made sure there was no grass or anything to keep the engine from getting cool. Removed all shrouds and panels. Pulled the plugs - whit deposits in color. Exposed the valves and tops of the cylinders. Many deposits (I'm guess Carbon). Seals looked good. Also started to degreas the engine - much deposit on the sides, up to 1/2 inch in some areas. Where do I go from here? It is possible to fix the overheat without removing the engine? It is a matter of cleaning the carbon (pistons & valves) and adjusting the carb? Where does one figure out what screws do what on the carb? Exhaust seems to be fine. Any help is always appreciated. By the way - it overheats under all conditions - NOT just while mowing. Thanks to all. Let me know if anyone wants pictures. But I think most people are familiar enough with the carbon build up.

I would finish cleaning the gunk or oil off your engine using a degreaser following the instructions on the can. I don't see any reason for you to pull the engine off to do so either. Did you check to make sure the screen over the flywheel is drawing air down thru it while the engine was running because it is the main cooling feature of any air cooled engine along with the covers and cooling fins. I looked at a picture of your tractor and I can see why you foot or feet would get hot if you are running the engine as their is not all that much room separateing them. Mine are single clylinder engines and my feet with leather boots on will get unconfortable after running my tractor for some time while mowing heavy or thick grass. Your plugs seems to be fine at least in my opinion. The smell could be coming from all of the oil and gunk on your engine getting hot and putting off some smoke to go along with it. You stated that your exhaust seems fine so I will assume its not what's smoking. One thing that I am curious about is whether you use gas with ethenol in it. I have found that my engine will run hotter with this additive in the gasoline. You didn't mention if your engine burns any oil or what weight oil you use but the way you discribed the spark plug it dose not sound like it is burning any. I have found that some or most twin cylinder engines will back fire after they have been turned off from the raw gas entering either the combustion camber or the muffer and reiniteing from the heat that has built up and also the fast engine rpm. I can't think of anything other but what I have mentioned and what you are doing that wouldn't take care of your problem. As always others add,correct or both infact please add some-more comments just maybe we all can learn somemore neat stuff. One more thing is your engine knocking any or making any strange noises that might be spark knock?? Best of Luck, >>->happyjack<-<<

Running lean will also cause the symptoms you described. Check the vent in the gas cap and also check the carburetor. My 2 cents worth. Roy