Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Broadmoor 727 engine questions

DGBork

Hi, I have a Broadmoor 727 that I use for mowing, tilling, de-thatching - I was tilling the garden on Sunday when the engine 'clanged' and quit running. It turns out that one magnet on the flywheel cracked and flew off inside the blower housing. So, I need to repair or replace the 7hp vertical engine. It is Briggs model #171701, and I will need at least the flywheel, plus anything else (armature, stator) that was wrecked by the shrapnel. I have been pretty happy with the 7hp, and probably don't need a bigger engine, but I have a 11hp vertical (Briggs 252707) salvaged from a craftsman mower that looks like it might fit (?). Any opinions on whether it would be better to repair the 7hp, or try to swap in the 11hp engine? Anyone have any used parts for a Briggs 171701 7hp vertical engine? Has anyone swapped in an 11hp in place of a 7 or 8 hp in an early Broadmoor? Thanks for any help or advice! DaveB Saunderstown, RI

Take a good look at size, shaft diameter amd linkages. I know one person who wanted to do what you are planning. He shimmed the crankshaft so he would be able to use the old pulleys, he couldn't use the lift handle due to the engine beng bigger. All and all it was a bad attempt. I would go original and ask who might be able to send you what you need.

Several others have done similar swaps. I believe the majority of the 'smaller' vertical B&S engines use the same mounting, so the 11HP should bolt on OK. If it has the 1" keyed shaft your pulleys would work correctly. As John mentioned, it can be a problem if the engine is big enough and it gets in the way of lift handle (or the hood). You might also have to do some re-wiring if the 11HP has a gear drive starter instead of a belt driven starter/generator, but that isn't too bad. I don't have a clue on the availability of parts for the 7HP engine, but here is a link to the parts manual (in case you need it): [url]http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BShopProductPage.asp?CatalogID=56B2B9A7-283C-11D4-8886-00B0D0203414&MECID=100&SessionID=2005AACF-658B-445A-B206-917F52914BDE&CategoryID=&lrid=1&ProductID=56B2BC13-283C-11D4-8886-00B0D0203414#[/url] I'm currently replacing a 8HP in a 738 with a 10HP from a Craftsman, and it looks like everything is going to work fine. Good Luck!

I have an old engine that was running when I removed it years ago so everything should be ok. All I remember is that its off a broadmoor and was running. You'd be welcome to it but I'd bet shipping would be more than its worth. If I am remembering right, All the snapper 8 and 11hp rear engine machines used the same shaft and so might be a place to look. Wiring would be different as said before but much simpler. Good luck and let me know if I can help...

Hi Dave, Welcome to the club. you might try taking this problem to Ernie's on Ten Rod rd. Next to the Ice cream shop,i've had good luck there,His used parts are very affordable,