Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Digging a trench, whats best way ?

Boney

If you have to dig a trench and would like to get 24" deep what is the best way to do this using a tractor ? Has anyone dun anything like this ? Thnx

I've gone about 12" deep by 60' long using a skip bucket, but that is on a 3point. How wide and long? Can you use a plow to break it up and then scoop it out with a bucket? Can always rent a Ditch-Witch.

JJ MARSHALL
how wide ? if back hoe bucket is to wide most rental store have trench digger for different widths.

The best way must be to get a shovel and lean on it while you watch someone else dig. I've seen a lot of our city employees doing it that way. So it must work pretty well.:D

JJ MARSHALL
i've seen that too greg i though the one that was digging was wearing out shoves so fast they had another worker standing by with another one .but after awhile i knew that wasn't the case at least not here .

Using a land plow, I can get 10"-12" deep when installing a sprinker system. Make one pass in one direction and the second pass in the opposite direction to throw the dirt on both sides to prevent the dirt from falling back in the trench. That's still only half way to 24", but if you don't mind the labor, a trenching shovel isn't too bad in sub-soil. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/plow-a.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/trench-a.jpg[/img]

Backfill with a blade. Sweep up (power or hand). Done............. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/backfill-a.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/sweep2.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/dutch/gearhead.jpg[/img]

I like that idea Dutch. I will be doing the same to my place up north and the idea of using the plow is quite a good one.

I would have to agree about renting a "ditch-witch". You'll always be happier with the results when you use the right tool. Make sure you have get the utilities marked before you dig. [:0]

thank you all for the great info. I was thinking of something like Dutch did. If need be to go deeper maybe use something like the idea Kent has an adjustable blade {sorry dont know what it is called} on the rear weight box to loosen the soil then use a shovel to remove dirt. This will not be happening for a while so I have plenty of time to get give it thought. again thnx :)

Dutch, I really like your plow setup, is this a stock setup? I assume you are using the hydraulic lift for the plow. Can you forward some closer pictures? Bob in Kokomo

quote:
Originally posted by Kokomo
Dutch, I really like your plow setup, is this a stock setup? I assume you are using the hydraulic lift for the plow. Can you forward some closer pictures? Bob in Kokomo
Thanks for the compliment. No, it's not a Simplicity plow. I don't know what it is. It could be an old mule drawn plow. I pulled it out of the scrap pile and modified it to fit the tractor. I use it on different tractors. Some are manual lift, some hydraulic, others electric lift. They all work the same. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/plow.jpg[/img]

Why would you want to water your grass Dutch? That just makes it grow twice as fast. My grass grows so fast now I can hear it at night.