Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is a Sovereign?

I just acquired my first Simplicity (1978 7012H), so please excuse me if the following regarding Simplicity's decision to discontinue the Sovereign sounds dumb. According to the Simplicity website the three garden tractors offered are: Legacy (MSRP $7695 to $11,975) Sovereign (MSRP $5895 to $7425) Landlord (MSRP $5095 to $7125) The Legacy has the "new" aerodynamic look with all the bells & whistles (power steering, cruise control, etc.) Specifications and attachments available for the Landlord & Sovereign seem to be very similar. However, the Landlord also has the "new" aerodynamic look, while the Sovereign has the "old" square look. From a marketing standpoint, I suppose the average person buying a new piece of equipment wants that equipment to "look new." So, my question is directed to those who have years of experience with these machines, why would you recommend buying a Sovereign over a Landlord?

happyjack, Are you saying my '78 7012H is of similar design to the "new" Sovereigns that are being discontinued? My '78 7012H is a Landlord. Are you saying the differences in the "new" Landlords are more than just looks? If so, what are the major differences, and in what year did the changes occur? Thanks for your time and sorry for so many questions, I'm just learning this stuff.

Some would say ya can't teach an old dogs new tricks and the same goes for some of us about buying things that are suppose to be better updated things or in this case a garden tractor. The new Landlords share nothing of old with the older ones "but" the Sov. does infact share the basic design that goes back about 40 years. It the older design is time proven and has a long history of being a very dependable tractor. Infact it even looks the part compared to he newer rounded garden tractors that look so much alike anymore. Its inpart about Simplicity giving up in my opinion its heritage and a tractor that people have come to love and relate to even if you did buy the newer Sov. it still had roots to the past. That about somes it up for me and in time as always maybe some people will realize that some good things have to come to an end "but" not me, not as long as I can find a used one to keep me happy. Best to all, >>->happyjack<-<<

Hi Dutch, Yes the older Landlords and the newer Sovereign's are of similar design Simplicity also had another tractor called the "baron" that was in the same family at one time-the frame is similar to your tractor-I am not sure when Simplicity stopped using the Vickers hyhro trans and went to the one that they are presently using in the Sov. but I think it was changed about 1980 or there abouts -about the only main diffence is the engine-and some improvements here and there. Also the new landlords have different frames-they use different attachments and the attachments mount differently-front axle's are different and I could go on and on. They are not in any way the same as the Sov. or the older landlord. The Landlord is an all new tractor from the ground up compared to the Sov. The Landlord has a step thru design because of the new frame instead of a step up and over design like the sov. I am not sure of the year the big change went into affect for the landlord but geussing about 4-5 years ago. I hope this helps and I am trying to keep this short as I do have a problem of rambing on at times. Maybe someone else can add or correct me on this information as don't want to misinform anyone about these facts. "SO SOME HELP ME OUT HERE OK" Its Monday and we all know how I get on Monday's "brain dead" but what else is new. best, >>->happyjack<-<<

Thanks again Happyjack, I'm starting to get the picture. Next time I visit the Simplicity dealer I'll be prepared to examine the new machines and check out the differences. Right now I'm very pleased with my 7012H.