Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4212/Briggs question

goatfarmer

goatfarmer
Today I transplanted a 1990 12HP Briggs onto my recently aquired 4212Hydro,that had a 1990 Briggs 12HP that was blowing oil badly through the carb,and dipstick.Runs great! The question I have is the charging system on the original engine has 2 wires coming out of it. The replacement engine only has 1 wire. Doing some checks,for the 2 wire system,it seems 1 wire is for charging the battery,and the other is the headlite circuit. Can I splice the 2 wires on the tractor into the 1 wire coming from the engine,and get it all to work? TIA:D

No, if you have the red and white wire in the dual circuit, the red is for the DC side (battery) and the white is an AC (headlights)circuit, the two won't mix.

I just had the opposite problem - tractor had one wire and new engine has two! I think what you need to do is connect the red wire on your tractor to the single wire on your new engine. Then you can connect the white wire on your tractor to the battery for lights, or go thru the ignition switch so the lights turn off when you turn off the tractor. My light circuit didn't have a fuse, so I added one while I was at it.

It should work Kenny. Tying both wires on the tractor together should put the lights on the "L" terminal on the ignition switch. This is only so if the old engine had the dual circuit alternator and if the new engine has the DC only alternator.

I wouldn't tie the 2 together. If you do so out past the diode, You'll have lights on all the time. And even if you go before it you will have the lights stealing what the charging system is meant to put into the battery all the time it runs.. Simply install a switch.. Come to the switch with a lead from the key switch that is only hot when the switch is on and out to the head lights..

andy gartner
Hmmm, the enigma continues. My 4111 11HP has lights. My (1986) 4208 doesn't. Can the newer 4208 circuitry handle lights? Thanks A

quote:
Originally posted by andy gartner
Hmmm, the enigma continues. My 4111 11HP has lights. My (1986) 4208 doesn't. Can the newer 4208 circuitry handle lights? Thanks A
All depends on how many and what color are the wires coming out of engine.

When i put the 18hp on my AC808 the motor had 1 wire and the tractor has 2. I found on the schematic that the charging circuit uses 1 wire and as Bob stated the other is for the headlight circuit... I connected the charging part as it shouhld...then rewired the headlight circuit so that the lights come on when ever the switch is on...works great...!

Andy, In your 4208, mfg# 1691027, you can wire as in the diagram below so long as your original wiring has not been modified.

Kenny, re-use your old stator ans flywheel over, then there is no modification.

andy gartner
Thanks all! :) Greg thanks for the diagram! Ouch! Par usual, more opportunities to screw-up with the later 8 hp, than on the ol'728's or '63 Landlord. Bob, I'll check the wires coming out of the engine too. Kenny thanks for letting me jump in here, hope you get yours lite-up soon! Let us know how you play it. Marty, any Datsun/Toyota tractor-conversions news yet, on your LA-JD? A

goatfarmer
I thought about reusing the old stator.I think I'm going to try wiring the headlites through the ignition switch,as stated above. This tractor is going up for sale,as soon as I get the bugs worked out,so originality is not a concern.Thanks all!