Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JD-21

MPH

Gotta be proud of this ole mower, bought it used in 1984, learned today thanks to knowledge learned hangging out here, it was made in '81. Rubber wore off the tire about 3 years ago so I haven't been able to mow under my chokecheer bushes since. Dug it out this afternoon, started in 3 pulls with a little gas poured down the carb, like it's needed for some time, but couldn't get any rpms outta it. Pulled the flywheel, points full of oil, whole engine a dirty mess, so cleaned it all up, put in new pts and condenser, put new 'O' ring on the tube the carb slides onto and the 3.5 briggs fires right up. Found new wheels for free, guy I got the points from, and eventhough they're 10 inch insead of 9 and have white hubs instead of yeller, think its good to go for what I plan on useing it for, not much, no seat:D:D

thedaddycat
Well, at least you got full use out of the old tires....... lol

D-17_Dave
I think I got one just lke it out in the pile. I think the wheels are just like that one too. I got a snapper with the self propell that looks very close also. Thems awfull good engines, I always liked those vertical pull Briggs. Haven't needed to fire up either one in several years. If I can't ride up beside it of touch it with the weed eater, I don't mush mess with it. I used to mow around 2 acres with a push mower when I was young and I got all that walking out of my system then.lol

Marty, When I get to the paint stage, I'll send you a cup!! Or maybe we will banish you and Dave GREEN LAND forever!!

D-17_Dave
Now wait just a second, I said I had one, might have a few of some others but how did I get put into the banishment catagory??It was give to me, I've never used it, just tried to get it to run. Man you guys are tough. One litle slip and POW, your in no-mans land.lol I went out and grabbed a few shots of them. AS you can see I used the green one as parts for the snapper, and it's not like they are used as daily drivers or anything.

Dave, I knew those JD's looked like snappers but I didn't know that parts would actually swap. The earlier JD push mowers with tecumseh engines appeared to have been made by toro.

D-17_Dave
Cris, they don't swap. I did'nt get a bag or shute with the snapper so I just grabbed the shute off the green one and mounted it with the one screw. Not very pretty but it did'nt take long with the discharge blowing in my face to hunt through the pile for something to block it.