Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Single vs. 2 stage snow blowers for Broadmoore

richp

Hello,

I am considering a blower for the front of my 3 year old
Broadmoore. I have an opportunity to get a used 42" (I think)
single stage blower, hitch and lift arm for $500. I live
in CT moderate snow fall (generally 3-6"). How well do the
single stage blowers work or should I be looking for a 2
stage? Is the price reasonable? Thanks for any advice.

Tom, I think that sounds a little high for a used attachment. How old is the blower, I paid $75.00 for my single stage for a B series AC. As far as the single stage goes, The one I have works great. Tim

Hi Tom, I'm not even sure they made a two stage for the broadmoore-but even if they did I would not in my opion waste the money on the two stage with that amount of snow. I think at this time of year I might shop around if your able to-just maybe a better price. But then again its a judgement call on your part. Good Luck->jackl<-

My experience with both types: The SIM/AC single stage in front of a hydostatic drive tractor will do as good if not better than a two stage. The variable drive keeps the auger "stuffed" to really throw the snow. MS

If memory serves me correctly that is still only about half price of a new one - I guess these guys want you to wait around for 20-30 years for the price to come down (which you can) but that's a lot of shoveling in the mean time though! Enjoy your Broadmoor - it is one of the finest cutting machines in the world and "Big Green" knows it.

Jeff I feel has a very good point indeed. At about $1100 for a new give or take a buck and it being such a new tractor-blower also being the same-either wait and see or wait and lose-sounds like one of them is a good choice.->Like some say just my bucks worth agian->jackl<-happyjack->

Single stage is simpler, works great and more reliable (fewer parts) At NASA we call it KISS, that's Keep It Simple Stupid (I'm not saying that you are stupid, it is only a saying). On the other hand if you pay $500.00 for a snowblower, I might have to take that back. Interested in a bridge perhaps?

I just reacently signed up and what a great forum!
There are a lot of good discussion groups out there but this is one of the best. Thanks to all who responded. This weekend I'll look over the blower carefully and verify its condition. I also feel the price may be a bit high, assuming good condition. I'll shoot for $350-$400. It's a lot less than new...

Tom,
If you have the power to spare (and you do) stick with single stage. I don't know what they use on the high mountain roads but the furthest I've ever seen snow thrown was by an 8 foot single. Granted, a big Detroit deisel was the power.
Stan

I paid $525 for my 36" single stage 4 years ago. It was a few years old, but was like new, only some paint scratches in the chute from plowing a gravel drive. It came with weights, chains, hitch, lift lever, etc. Like the other guys said, it was way less than new.

Since you're in CT like me, have you looked in the Bargain News for less expensive snowblower attachments? If you can't find a copy locally, they have a website under BargainNews.com, (or something like that). Go to the yard tools section and plug Simplicity or snowblower into the search program there. I got my used 3112H with deck, snowblower and cart for $600 just last month, thanks to them.