Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 Ground Speed Control

Titan

The hydrostatic speed control lever on my recently purchased 9020 will not move all the way forward through its full range of travel. What might be the cause(s) of this, and what might I need to do to correct the problem? Thanks!

Question??? Is the nuetral position correct? If not rod needs adjustment. If yes do you have full speed? Could be the pin inside that controls position of rotor assembly.

D-17_Dave
Most likely it is a stuck pivot shaft on the direction control lever. The lever rides on a stationary shaft. After useage and age the shaft rusts to the speed control lever and the shaft starts turning inside the steering column. The shaft is locked into place by a flat spot milled on the shaft. After the age issue it begines to turn inside the lock by wearing out the lock at the flat edge, This makes the shaft turn when you move the lever, stoping the stroke of the lever when it reaches the edge of the unworn lock. If you look into the dash and while moveing the lever you see the cross shaft move it's probably just the sticking shaft. To make sure pull a shoulder bolt in the linkage out and see if the pump linkage will move past the point where the lever stopps. If this is the case it will be very diff. to remove the shaft to clean it and restore it to free motion. I had this happen on my 620 and while I had the likage loose I just forced it to full stroke, patially shearing out the shaft locating bracket. Not a perfect thing, but compared to haveing to pull the shaft out this was the simple solution. The shaft can't fall out with it seased in the lever so it really doesn't hurt anything.

The nuetral position is okay. The ground speed seems close to what it should be. When I look inside the dash, I don't see any movement of the stationary shaft when moving the hydrostatic speed control lever. I guess I need to remove the lower shoulder bolt and see what I observe then. Thanks!