Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Poll on painting, reassembly

TomMaryland

Hey guys, I have two questions before I finish this tractor. 1) How do you paint yours? Do you, paint each piece individually, or do you partially assemble and paint, or what? 2) Do you paint completely then assemble? or a combination of both? Just trying to reduce mistakes here. I have most of the "guts" painted, and wanted to ask before I start the major things. Thanks!

I painted each part, did a reasembly of most metal components that were the same colour and shot it again. Then finished assembly.

Let's just say that Allis used to make two marketing claims: 1. Each piece individually painted so that there is paint between the pieces where they bolt together... 2. Cadmium plated bolts (not painted) that do not rust... Source: Allis-Chalmers Big Ten Dealer Sales Training Booklet, 1965

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
So I guese I did something right.
You and me both....

Paint each piece individually with a good quality automotive paint with hardner mixed in. No rattle cans if you want long lasting quality. Then assemble parts using chrome or cadium plated bolts. This gives it a nice finished look. Good luck to you and remember to send in some pics when your finished. Ryan

i got the colors matched at napa. hardener is expensive!! so is the paint i should be done in about 10 days. Thanks guys!

Ill do before and after pics.....Im waiting on that 2110 decal set!! hint hint

I always paint my parts individually, but shoot them at the same time apart. Man you don't realize how many parts you have, when you lay that maze out!

quote:
Let's just say that Allis used to make two marketing claims: 1. Each piece individually painted so that there is paint between the pieces where they bolt together... 2. Cadmium plated bolts (not painted) that do not rust... Source: Allis-Chalmers Big Ten Dealer Sales Training Booklet, 1965
I hear ya Kent ;) I am finding a few places where that doesnt seem to be the case....but don't quote me on it!! 8D Man that hardener smells baaad

Don't be sniffing that hardener...in fact you need to use a good fresh air feed mask with good filters when using auto type paints...and should even with spray cans...there are very harmful cemicals in auto paints that can poison you even through your skin... For painting tips and info you can read this forum http://www.autobodystore.com/cgi-bin/config.pl?index

Safety is first. Paint each piece individually with paint and hardener Then let it dry a day or two and reassemble and paint it again. My mistake. Do not let the carb leak gas on the paint. Takes the paint right off. :D