Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tilling time

MPH

Disked the garden this morning to break down the clods from plowing under my cover crop in the snow last fall, let the stiff breeze at mid 60's temp dry it out some all day and tilled it tonight. Amazes me how 18 inch tall barley green manure crop vanished though the winter, mustta been them snow worms ate it. That front counter wt sure was worth the makings, finger tip tiller lifting:)

Marty looks good. Is last night sort of tilling for two hours, then bedtime and sunset is two hours later?

Hmmm.... I tilled Saturday. What does that tell you about the New England climate and growing season when they're basically at the same point in gardening preparations in Alaska?

Those tillers do the trick. So it is easier to lift the tiller with a front counter weight. I may need one of those. Struggling to lift the tiller and hard to turn. Ag tires will help the turning. :D

Dave, that grass does even turn green and need mowing, need our first spring rain to help it out though. Getting there Bob, I can see good outside about 11pm, got up at 4 this morning to go to Fairbanks and I didn't beat the sunrise by much. Think you got about a month on me Kent, I spread ashes on the garden to get the snow melting sooner then norm. I gain about 3 weeks doing that. Plant mid to end of May, then cover with floatting row cover from Johnny's Seed til mid June. If I double it, it will protect young plants down to about 20 degrees. Night and day difference Justin. Gonna take the tri-ribs off the B-112 and put them on the 725. The steering on the 112 is so hammered out they have too much bite on it anyway.

Marty, I see you got a powermax, Do you use it in the garden any? As I'm sure you've seen I just got mine up and running this spring, and a road trip to Jim P yeilded a tiller and it works amasingly great. Don't know how I ever got along with out my 620. Now this year I'm too busy to have a garden being gone during the summer mounths like I work. Or do you just move snow with the big tractor?

Dave, my 4040 came with a blade only. I made a 3pt hitch for it so I could use my 5 foot York style rake on it, also have a home made harrow made outta railroad spikes I have jerry rigged up on a 3pt frame. My blade has no shoes, so it digs gravel kinda bad for plowing snow. Besides the rake, most I've used it for is lgging so far. Last year was the first time I didn't have a garden since I lived in Tok, kinda interesting how many people noticed and said I should give up working.

Well if your like me, in some things, you do certain things just because you want to. With my work schedule I'm never home past when things need weeding, much less when it's time to get stuff in. Seems like with all that daylight up there it would warm up enough to get stuff done. Be a good place for a greenhouse wouldn't it.