Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler repower question-AC 916H

srwven

Does anyone know if a mid 70's briggs horizontal 16hp (like the ones in the 7016) will be a drop in replacement for the kohler k341 series in an AC 916H, or will it require some modification? There is a local 916H with a blown motor. I can get a briggs 16 easily (and cheap).

I'm thinking it should bolt in, but what I don't know is if you need a spacer block for the drive shaft. Also you will need a key swtch with igition ground, or if you are familiar with the Bosch relays you can keep the original switch and let the relay do the work. Relays are cheap. At the local bone yard, I came home with a handful of them for a buck.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I think the 7116H and the 916H are the same except for color. And the AC had Kohler and the Simplicity had Briggs. Also drive shaft may be different and has a large rubber damper in it. I think there has been several posts on repowering 917H with Briggs also.

I put a Briggs 16hp in this. It had originally the twin 17hp kohler. They will go right in with no problems, frame already has the holes in it for the Briggs engine. You will have to change the ignition switch from battery ignition to the way they are done on a Briggs or you will burn up the magneto on the Briggs (done that). You will also have to add a voltage regulator if you don`t have one already if you use the starter generator. I am not sure if your tractor used a voltage regulator and I never had a tractor with Kohler single cylinder in it. Also according to the parts manual that I have the driveshafts are the same part number for the kohler and briggs on the single cylinder engines.

I put a Starter-generator B/S in my AC716H. You may have to drill a hole for the oil drain or reverse the oil pan, depending on the engine you use. Otherwise it will bolt up. If the driveshaft is a little short, you can shim up the difference with tubing or a stack of washers. I have used both on different tractors with excellent results. None of my three tractors have original engines. Wiring and throttle are the main hurdles.

The Biggs and the Kohler uses the same drive shaft but the engine coupling is different. The coupling that the drive shaft bolts to (with appropriate spacer)is a specific Briggs or Kohler part. Some (not all) of the single cylinder 900/7100 series tractors used a rubber flex joint at the engine instead of the flex disk. This is a different drive shaft also. The flex disk works just fine.

I say go for it! I replaced my K301 with a K341. They did not actually match up at all points. It did bolt in but I had to switch the oil pans, and flywheels with sheet metal covers. Also had to switch the starters because one was high mount and the other low mount. I had to raise the motor up about half an inch so that the oil dip stick would clear the frame. All in all, it was fun and worth the effort to solve the little problems that you encounter when doing something like this. Have fun:D Dan

Ok, after researching the parts manuals I found that the '79-80 7116/AC916 (simp. 1666152/AC 1690538) shows only one drive shaft for the 16HP with the fiber disc coupler. However the '81 through '83 parts manuals (the '83 mfg numbers are the same as the '81-'82 according to simpletractors) shows that there are two driveshafts, one with the fiberdisc which is the same as the '79-80 , the other is a "compression coupler" that is "offset position raise as shown" with a plate adapter. The parts manual also states that the former shaft (disc coupler) is used on tractors 1690569 before serial # 1614 and 1690570 before serial # 1020. The latter compression coupler/adapter is used on tractors 1690569 after serial # 1613 and 1690570 after serial #1019. All parts are still available through jacks small engines. That would take care of the mechanical. Now for the electrical, do I just install a new ignition switch for briggs engines? Will this require a different wiring harness?

I took a 12hp Kohler K301 out of an A-C 912 6-Speed and replaced it with a used Briggs 16hp. I used the same drive shaft. I had to change the wiring harness though, but everything else bolted right in. In February I replaced the Kohler 16hp K341 out of my A-C 916H with a brand new 16hp Kohler "Magnum" engine. Basically it is the same motor, but I had to replace the ignition switch of course. The Magnum has an electronic ignition in it. It also fit right in. I love the Kohlers, they have a unique sound.

My k241, k301, k341 and k221 motors have all been in different tractors at one point. All i had to do is drill a hole for the drain plug. Other than that, they fit perfectly

I have done this exact swap.Two things.The oil drain plug may interfere with the chassis so a slight cut of the side stell of the chassis will have to be removed,Not all briggs drain plugs are in the same place.The Kohler uses key to supply current to coil the Briggs is magneto so it start but you ca't shut it off so a kill switch will have to be installed.Other than that every other item bolted right up and I mean right up.