Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Nelson can muffler Part#

thedaddycat

I recently got this information from Rob. The small Nelson can muffler like I have on the Putt Putt is Briggs Part # 291519

this is the one I got from my local Agco dealer for My early B-10. As you can see expensive. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/toad270/5.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/toad270/6.JPG[/img]

Wow what a mark-up...Jacks sells the same one for 33.** I feel that 33.** is not to bad after replacing the one on my Wheel Horse with the twin briggs...It was around $100.

They are a bit more quiet I think. I believe that this because the exhaust hole can be pointed away from the operator.

Just wondering why you would go with that type muffler if it's not any quieter instead of just going with the cheaper Briggs muffler? Unless of course the reason is to keep it with OEM parts, then I understand. I ask because I put the Briggs type on mine but wonder if there is a specific advantage. Bruce

what is the quietest muffler you can get for these cast iron b&s engine? my neighbor has a 5212.5 simplicity that the quietest riding mower i've ever heard. jj

Regarding the quietest mufflers that can be had for the cast iron briggs engines.... There is no such thing. There have been several posts on this topic and I think Brent B even tried a "super trap" muffler and was extremely dissapointed. These are just loud engines. I suppose if one wanted to retro fit a newer muffler from a late model tractor then that is possible. But the apperance of this huge muffler hanging around the front grill of a landlord 101 would look pretty bad. Ryan

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Are these mufflers any/much quieter than the standard Briggs muffler????
It's like pinching your nose and talking- that's what these mufflers do. They don't make things much quieter, but they do alter the general sound of the engine to something that sounds better and is a little quieter.

First of all you can silence any engine exhaust, bar none. For the 16HP CI Briggs I have one in my garage that will do the trick. The problem is that it is 5" in diameter and 17" long not to mention that it wheighs 8 pounds. It pretty hard to screw in a one inch street el and a short nipple and set the silencer on it and say 'whoopee, it works'. Briggs' rectangular muffler does a reasonable job of holding down the noise, but looks 'butt ugly' after it is mounted and supported. Keep in mind that all exhaust systems of any length and wheight need some sort of support or trouble will result. Simplicity has had some good exhaust systems, some Broadmoors with the Nelson perforated mufflers. I wish my Sunstar was a quiet on but no dice, you just live with it. It isn't rip roaring loud but not like some of the Broadmoors I have driven.

I agree that this is the quietest "non-stack" muffler that you can use on the old Briggs cast-iron singles. I've tried: 1. Aftermarket round muffler for about $5.00 2. Briggs "quiet" round muffler for about $20 3. Cub Cadet Nelson muffler mounted as a "stack" 4. These OEM-type Nelsons 5. Harley Davidson "shorty" muffler The Cub Cadet stack muffler was the quietest, but it kept getting knocked loose with overhanging shrubs. It was about 5" in diameter and a foot long (just the muffler), plus another 6" to 8" of exhaust pipe with a curve and angle cut, so you could point it away from you. These OEM Nelsons point the exhaust forward, as mentioned, and have a much lower tone than the round, cannister type. They're still not quiet, by any means, but they are noticeably quieter than the round ones. I now have them on every tractor I have running.... My 2 cents....