Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Tom_Byrne

Dixie Choppers Tractors

Tom_Byrne
Was watching American Chopper tonite and thier latest creation is a theme bike for Dixie Chopper, a lawn tractor company out of Indiana. Fast, powerful machine- V twin engine, and they say it can cut a football field in nine minutes. Anyone ever hear of them? It's a first for me.

TomMaryland
My neighbor, a general contractor, has one or two. Seems like a well built machine. He and his son have cut grass with them for about 5 yrs now with no problems.

mowerman1193
Yes they are a commercial mower that I have heard will mow around 7 acres per hour...Give a good cut too... I just bought a 48in commercial walkbehind mower...it will mow circles around any of my tractors...but it has the fixed deck and does not cut nearly as nice as the tractors IMO....It does leave stripes too but they seem to fade away by the time its time to mow again where the Simplicity would still have the stripes and I would mow opposite directions to make a checker pattern on the second mowing...

hufhouse
There's a landscaper/lawn care guy in our small town that doesn't use anything else. In fact, his grandmother lives next door to my office, and she has three of them for sale in her front yard right now. I think this guy gets a deal by buying more than he needs, then he sells 3-4 of them off each year. I used to rent office space in a professional building with about 3-4 acres out front. I used to love to sit and watch these guys mow that big open front yard. I know they weren't, but it looked like they were going 35 miles per hour on those Dixie Choppers. Grass was flying everywhere. I always wanted one of those, but the price is really prohibitive for a homeowner. You've got to be a commercial guy cutting a lot of grass to cost-justify one of those babies. They have a really nice cut, too.

BigSix
What kind of engine do they have? I've only seen the first episode of O.C.C., (have the second on tape-don't give the ending away--lol) and I couldn't see the engine's name. I wonder how it's max rpm and torque curve matche up to a Harley's?

country
My brother-in-law has one for his lawncare business. It will mow around 8-10 mph, and give a decent cut. His has a Kohler engine, though I believe Kawasaki are also available. They make a humungous machine with a 72" deck with twin engines.