Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A little help please!

SteveP

I been working on my latest project (D/A 1920 aka Sunstar) and ran into something that should be simple. The mower hanger (for a lack of a better name) bolts to the front axle. The bolt is about 1/2 inch and the hole where it bolts to is 7/8 x 2 inchs oblong. I've downloaded the parts manual for both the tractor and 60 inch mower and can't find the mower hanger nor can my parts guy (he's no dummy either). Can someone point me to the right spot. From what I can guess it needs some sort of bushing or collared washer. Tractor = 1691392 Mower = 1691344 Thanks Steve

Is this what you are looking for. It sounds like the hitch points are worn and sloped out.

Thanks I've study this pic already but doesn't look like what I have. It's the bottom pic thats causing my problem. On the bottem picture the mower hitch piont is seperate and bolts to #35. Maybe it's just a bad picture but it's still confusing me (not hard to do sometimes).

Are you sure you are not trying to hook the deck to the front attachmet point for front attachments If the tractor had a bolwer mounted on it it would have this kit. The mower deck Does not connect to anything bolted to the front axel. The hitch point is part of the axel As shown in the diagrams.

Nope, not trying to hook it up out front. This bolts up to the front axle with a 1/2 inch bolt somehow??? Floats (to some extent) indepenant to the axle. It's different than most Simplicity's that I ever seen. This is the first Sunstar I've messed with. This thing fell off when I was getting the engine to run decent, nut fell off. Someone have a Sunstar/Ultima to look at??

Well I have helped all I can. The diagrams I have posted are as clear as any picture will be and are out of the manuals for this tractor. This is the way things are supposed to be and if you have something different it has been jerry rigged and I can't help unless you join the club and post some pictures (you have to be a member to post pictures) so we can see what you have. The tractor hitch points are not bolted to the front axle #35 they are a welded part of the axle. The Hitch on the deck #1 is bolted to the deck. The mower deck is then conected to the tractor with 2 hitch pins #3 and safty pin clips #2.

I have a 1918H, a 1920H, and a Sunstar. All are exactly like the diagrams Maynard has posted. Right down to that stupid pressed in grease zerk (#36) man I hate those things. I can't emagine what you're missing. Pictures would help.

this is another view of the same diagram that has already been posted. It is from my sunstar 20 manual. The center(31) bolt is the pivot point and the two bolts(5) go thru the axle and thru the bracket. Hope this helps.

Finally figured it out on the picture posting. Hope this helps with your problem.

btw my mfg. no. is 1691081 on the manual and 1691381 on the tractor if you want to download the manuals.

Bill The reason you got the red X was because of the spaces and symbols in your file name. The instructions for posting pictures clearly state this. There is also an edit button on the reply form so that you can edit the post and not have to post 2 or 3 other posts to clarify it. There is also a preview button so that you can see what the reply looks like and if it fits the page before posting. His question was about the mounting/hitch points for the mower deck not the spindle mounts. The Diagrams I posted are of the questioned parts from the correct manuals. He has the MFG#'s for his tractor and mower and stated he has downloaded the manuals for them. I only posted the questioned parts and combined the parts on the tractor and deck to show how they go together. I then condensed them so they fit the page so people don't have to scroll sideways to read the reply. Haveing to scroll sideways makes a post hard to read.

Ok after spending 20 at the parts window comparing pictures to what I had in my hand the lights came on! My Number 35 is currently in two pieces! Broken welds. The guy I got it from just bolted it to the frame. Now the trick is getting it to come off so I can get it welded back into one piece. Thanks for your help. Been meaning to join but just havent got around to it. Will be the next thing I do. UCD, hope I did piss you off to bad. Thanks Steve

Steve Welcome to the club as a member I am happy to see you got your problem solved and repairing it the correct way. Jerry rigged parts can cause alot of confusion.

my apoligies also for the multiple posts and all the other mistakes I made while trying to help. I too am new at this and I am still learning (slowly). Maybe some day I'll be as proficient at this as some of you old pros.

I realize that people are new here. I am sorry that I offended you trying to explain how things should work so things are easy to follow. "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"

No offense taken Maynard. I can use all the help I can get when it comes to these computers. The biggest problem I have is how slowly some of this "stuff" soaks into my pea size brain.