Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lift button solution

MPH

Took the 725 and tiller to a friends house today to till up his garden bed, about twice the size of mine, after 1hour and 15 min of holding the lift button in, I'm looking for a remedi to that. Any thoughts??? He grows a lot of 6 inch stones and I think he must have piled his dirt on top of tree stumps as I pulled up several of them. Inorder to let the tiller float over hard objects is why I kept the button pushed in. Only quick solution I have is mount the tiller on the Landlord and put the hydro lift in float.

Sounds like mounting the tiller on the Landlord is the easiest idea. Is you lift counsel slotted?? I thought they only had a notch in the front and in the back?

Push it in drill a 1/8th hole though the handle and button and put a safty spring clip in it to hold it down.

thedaddycat
I think I recall someone saying they had drilled or had heard of drilling a hole through the latch down at the bottom of the lever so you could pin it up(button held down) so that the latch wouldn't engage the notches.

D-17_Dave
Unscrew the thumb button and release the spring tention. Or an easier place to put a pin might be down at the quadrant by the latch.

My thinking is it needs to easy to release so when you get to the end of the pass the lift can be locked up to hold the tiller while one turns around. Hmmm, maybe a notch block out on the quadrant, gotta go study that thought.

HubbardRA
I have two tractors that I can lock with a pin. One is drilled at the top of the lever through the lever and button. The other one is drilled at the bottom through the detent latch. Both work fine. Spring will hold the pin in. Push the button and pull out pin to release. My 61 Wards (725) has a detent only at front end of the quadrant to hold up a mower. I have to use a pin to latch it in a rearward position, but it floats fine. Has your quadrant been changed to the later style with detents?

Marty, If the lift quadrant has holes, instead of notches, put a clevis pin through a hole to set the tiller depth and keep the lift lever from locking at the full rearward position. This way the tiller floats when down and latches when up. All I have to do with my B-1 is lift the tiller at the end of a row and drop it at the start of a row. Never mind the above if your lift quadrant has notches.

Marty, I cut a "J" slot in my handle and installed a pin in the button. I can move the pin from either the lock to float position with my index finger while I use my thumb on the button. Simply and works great. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/button-float-seq.jpg[/img]

Yea Herb, that looks like it would do the job, thanks. My quadrant has one notch in the front and two towards the back. Its oem to me. meaning I didn't modify it. The thought I had of notch block out seems it could be only held on by one bolt at the very rear of the quadrant. Didn't study it too hard, took the tiller off and hooked up the rake/detacher and did the lawn in two directions, then fired up the push mower, has bagger, and sucked up 9 baggs of dead grass, which I needed to cover the new seeding where I backfilled aronf the new porch and sidewalk I poured last fall. This one thing leads to another around this yard got me thinkin its time to move out too the woods.

Move out to the woods.....? But I thought......:o) Guess it's a regonal thing.....;) It's all relative I guess.;)

HubbardRA
I told my wife that I wanted our next place to be in the middle of the woods. She said, "No", because she likes the pretty green lawn surrounding the house. That is as long as "I" do all of the mowing. Don't think she understood what I meant when I said "woods" instead of "meadow".