Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dumbest tractor mistake you've made

Smitty

OK guys, I fess up. Some of you have been trying to help me fix my squealing hydro on my 7018h. Turns out it was the brake not releasing properly because I over tightened the brake arm guide. It should be loose and not tight by the way. So as I would mow and depress the brake it would get hotter and hotter and start squealing and really putting stress on the motor. Even 18 horses can climb a hill with the brake engaged. Live and learn!:o)

D-17_Dave
We all make even dumb mistakes. Sometimes we even learn something from it.lol

When ever i have a problem mechanically or electrically i ask myself what has changed? and can i undo what ever it is i did and the device, power unit, or process return to normal. These methods useually produce results that are manageble. Old aged items don't normally fall in to that area so normal wear and tear and following manufacturers suggestions will help reduce mistakes. most of my mistakes are because i am trying to save money.

Brent_Baumer
Although not on a tracter per se, the dumbest thing and closest call I had as a result was trying to rope start an old front tine tiller I once had. The rope clutch it had on it was messed up so I removed it and wrapped a long piece of 1/4" cord around the flywheel with the other end wrapped around my hand. I had done this before a few times successfully so thought nothing of it. Gave it a yank and it started to fire before the rope was unwound. It got tangled and yanked my arm real hard and died, thank goodness. That's not the end of it though. I calmed down and decided that wasn't going to happen again so I made a loop in the end of the rope and slid a 1/2" open/box end wrench through the loop to hold on too. The thinking being if it did happen again it would pull the wrench out of my hand. Well, it did happen and it did pull the wrench right out of my hand and right into my ribs. I got 2 puncture wounds in my side from the wrench open end. I decided not to till that day and fixed the clutch the following weekend. Brent

HubbardRA
I was working on my AC716H when I first assembled it after sitting for many years. Started the engine and pushed the hydro lever in the forward direction and nothing happened. Got off the tractor (engine still running), lifted fenders to check the freewheeling valves. One was stuck in the bypass position (the forward one). I grabbed a wrench to tap on it. Guess what? It closed. Hydro lever was still forward. Tractor ran over my foot and nearly knowked me down when it lunged forward. I was lucky that only my foot was in front of the wheel and the rest of my body and legs were beside the wheel, or else I could have been run over. I've learned my lesson about those hydros. "Don't climb off the seat with the engine running"!!! In fact, the tractor pulling group that I used to pull with had a rule that no engine could be running without a driver in the seat. Guess some other people had similar experiences.

Your sort of lucky it just squeeled. Last Fall I was trying to vacuum up leaves and the motor on the Vac trailer quit. I was in a hurry, it was going to rain and was getting dark. Instead of turning off the 716, I just put on the parking brake (that I rarely use). I got the vac motor running, I hopped on the running 716 and started to mow. Halfway up the hill I smelled something, looked down and saw flames. Shut it down and hopped off, the drum was cherry red, the band was burning from oil,grease from over the years. Had to replace the brake band, drum, and backup washers. So much for being in a hurry. GregB

1st day I got my tractor {which is my first} I started it up and drove it, I have a 9ft wall. As I head to it I went to put on the brakes...no brakes, so I used my Flinstone brakes and stopped about 2 ft short of going over. dumb...dumb....dumb

Not tractor related but funny any way. Had an "old" Yamaha dirt bike. One day it refused to start, no matter what I did to it. So I decided to have the wife pull me with the pickup down the lane. I tied a 25ft rope around the cross piece of the handle-bars the other end to the bumper of the truck. What I did'nt do is tell her to go easy till the rope was tight. I was setting on the bike watching her accelerate as the slack was taken up, I knew it was going to be bad when I heard her shift to 2nd about the time the slack was gone. Litterally jerked the bike out from under me. She finally looked in the mirror about 50 ft later. We still laugh about it.

One of the dumber mistakes that I made was hooking up a Briggs engine to a ignition switch for a kohler engine and have to spend $45.00 for a new magnetron. Live and learn.

Brent I had a good rope break in my hand from a bad clutch. i did not know the clutch was bad until it fired and took my two fingers of my left hand and made extention ladder rails out of them. I felt that numbness pain for years and can at times feel it today. That was when i was getting started in small engines. It was a short experience because i didn,t have a desire to do the same thing to my right arm and fingers. On any pull rope engine i get these days, it is new or i will investigate for dimples in the clutch. live and learn and share it here.

deerhunter
My biggest misteak was yesterday. I let the wife talk me into letting her mowing the grass. I could probably stop right here, and you'd all agree with me but I'll continue She wanted to mow because she felt guilty, the grass is high because I'm busy putting a pool up for her. I got the 716H out & pointed it the direction to mow as I showed her last year. She engaged the PTO made an immeadiate left turn blew grass all over my new f-150, made a right turn and hit the only stump in our yard. She hit it abbout 8" past the discharge side of the deck and bent it to you know where and back. I got it off the stump put it in the shed and told her to go in the house. I also told her that in 30 seconds she managed to create a entire day of work for me!!!!

Allis_B12
Not tightening BGB PTO pulleys. Then I drove the tractor for 5 minutes and the center PTO pulley shot out in front of the tractor under full throttle. It never hit the tractor or my left leg, but now I check the pulley screws.

This did'nt happen to me but it's a pretty good story.A friend of mine had his son out snowblowing.I would guess he's about 10 years old.Well anyway he got to close to the corner of the barn.There was one off those cables from the lightning rods on the roof to ground.He got the cable caught in the blower and away it went,right up the side of the barn.[:0]He bailed off about half way up,then the tractor died.When his dad got home the blower was straight up in the air and the back tires where just touching the ground.It took him an hour or better to cut the cable out of the blower.

Well, I never told you about this before. But last fall I was backing a small trailer between our pond and green house. well, there is a stump next to the greenhouse that is about 3" tall. the trailer wheel hit it and that pushed the tractor sideways right over the bank (My prized 7790 diesel!) and into the pond. I was on top of it and it was running 3750 rpm. I did not have time to slow it down or shut it off, all I could do is jump off and watch it roll down into the water. I remember seeing it all happening in slow motion while I was standing chest deep in the water. when it hit the water the engine stopped faster than I ever thought and engine could, from 3750 to 0 in one turn! Then it was sitting down there upside down with big globs of oil floating up. Anyway, to make a long story short I tore the whole engine down and miked everything and it was all fine. no compressed rods or anything. The flywheel broke loose and the steering was all bent up, but it works now, 30 hours if hard work later. And I still dont remember jumping off into the pond. How I got there so quick and watched it all happen is a mystery. I,m just glad I was not pinched under it!

Hi guys Well back some years ago i decided to strip down my 3112h to the frame and touch uppaint and fix what needed to be done. It was a long if not frustrating process but it turned out pretty god for a first timer. Well i put her all back together and was real excited to get it moving and test it all out. Well i started it up and it ran like crap, real uneven idle, hmm it ran smooth before i took off the engine >>> what the heck. So i grab out the screw driver and tinker with the jets, rev the engine ect nothing. Wel after my second attempr to corect the rough idle as i am giving her the juice i hear a loud BANG :( :( . AND AT THAT MOMENT I HAD AN EPIFFANY self I said dont you think it would have been a good idea to put Oil in the engine ARGH sH*T :(! wELL $300.00 OR SO LATER I GOT MY 3112H bAck<<< dumb dumb dumb:D

i had a bad acidnt a few year ago it was when i was fixin a farm tractor for my freind. i had put a strap rench on the back pto shaft becuse i was turning it by hand. my freind startd the engin and that strap rench hit me in the head severl tims til i got nocked out cold. i got flon to the hospatal in the med fligt and was their for a week. so the leson to be lernd is to doble chek and make sur all tools are off the ekuipment befour starting it up i hope this stoury prevants anoter acident like mine clint

maxtorman1234
About 2 months ago, I was going through our belts to see If i had one that would work better on the 710. Well, I put one on and pressed the clutch in to see if it would disengage the transmission. Well it didn't, and for some stupid reason I thought i'd check how much tension there was by grabbing the belt with my hand:(!. Luckily for me, i didnt have the nut on the bgb, so the whole pully came off and the engine quit. Missing part of the tip of one of my fingers on my left hand, SUre glad it wasnt more. Sure reminded me not to touch moving parts!

For some stupid reason I tried puting on a belt, that was slipping off, with the engine running.Good thing I was wearing gloves or I'd be missing 3 finger tips now. I wonder how could I have been so stupid

powermax_paul
Couple years ago, we purchased a 7' pine tree to place in our sloped side yard. It was heavy, so I picked it up with a rope wraped around the root ball and the loader on my 4041. I had previously dug the hole with the backhoe (approx 3' dia by 30" deep). Going down hill, loader at nearly max height carrying the tree, inherently poor brakes on a powermax, the backhoe crept off to the left side. The tractor began to tip to the left and Deb was futily pushing down on the right fender trying to get the right rear back on the ground. I had to drop the loader arms to right the tractor. The tree unhooked and rolled down a 50' steep embankment on the left. It was a scary moment for both of us. It only takes a short period of "not thinking" to create a disaster. Paul and his Powermax survived. Hopefully that 4041 learned something.:D

Yellowbee
A few years ago, my brother was push mowing his yard and got mad at the mower for some reason. He kicked the mower and cut off half his big toe. When the abulance came he did not want them to cut off his new boot!

I have not done anything interesting yet.... but I am sure I will manage something soon as I have had my first tractor a short time. My neighbor across the river from me has dropped his tractor into the water twice that I know of.... so I am guessing he could write his own journal of stupid stuff. I do thank him for the mental picture of the tractor rolling into the water.... it keeps me 10 feet from the steep part of the hill with a little more trim mowing... but a dry tractor.

The post about the rope on the flywheel reminded me of something. You can never trust the public ! One day at work a man brings in a Pro Mac 850. These are large displacement engines and come with a built in compression release. Now I'm a pretty big guy ( Though not as fat back then LOL ) and even at that, I was strong for my size. I asked the trouble and he tells me. I ask if the compression release works and he says yes. I put the saw on the floor, place my foot in the handle, Depress the compression release and give the starter rope a pull. The engine fires, Backwards,, and tries to start, keeping the starter dogs locked. It can't take the handle away from me so the saw climbs the rope and sticks the felling dog under my knee cap...( Ouchy ! ) I set the saw back down, Lock the doors, tell the man to come back the next day that i found out I was alergic to Pro Macs.. Got to close and broke out in pain, suffering and stiches...LOL A couple of the funnist thing I know of happened to 2 people I think the most of. Both guys are super smart and take it hard when they screw up...LOL First is my mothers youngest brother. I went to his house one July day and it was close to 100 degrees with the humidity out the roof. My Uncle was out back building a deck between the house and the swimming pool. I just had a question or 2 to ask but he was drilling anchor holes in brick and didn't want to be bothered. Wait till I'm done he says.. Well, Its hot anywhere but the sun had baked the brick all day and it was WAY hot beside it ! The first of 20 holes took I bet every second of 10 minutes to drill and hot water was running out the boy like streams.. Hold up a second I said.. Leave me alone ! I want to get this done.. Ok I think.. Ol boy, you go right on.. I get me a chair and have a seat there in the hot sun and grin.... I do get him a cool drink now and then but I don't say another word... When he started to step toward the last hole, i step up, take the drill from his hand and holding it in front of his nose I turn it to HAMMER ! I drill the hole in 15 seconds ! ROFLOL The next man was a jet mechanic in the USMC.. And a sock knitting machine fixer until he retired not long ago. And those things have enough moving parts to make you dizzy... His fan clutch fails on his 90 something CHevy PU and he decides to repair it himself. He buys a replacement fan but the parts house sells him the wrong one. It bolts up but when he started the engine and walks up front of the truck the fan is blowing air out the front through the radiator ! With out pause, he shuts off the engine and removes the fan, flips it over and reinstalls it ! HEhehehehehe Restarts the truck only to find that it still blows backward... LOL Go figure BTW, the dumbest thing I can remember ever doing was when my oldest sister asked me to have a look at her car. I checked it out and told her to pick up a part and bring it to my place and I'd install it for her. The engine was running and when she asked me to point out the part ( Waterpump I think it was ) I did so.. I just got a little to close to the fan and slapped the fingernail off my finger.. Ouchy again ! Ok, enough showing you all how dumb I am..

Started my 707 (pull start) with it in high gear. It went out through the yard without me on it. Instead of just catching it and either cutting the switch or pulling it out of gear, I did a Magnum PI thing and just jumped on. Thought I was pretty slick. When I get to the tree at the corner I looked down to make sure the deck would clear the tree, blood was running down the back of the deck!! I had on steel toed, mid length boots and it was full and running over. I somehow puntured a hole in a vein at my ankle. How, I don't know.. Next dumb thing: When my shredder is not in use I fold up the sacks I made for it and lay them in the hopper. Have done it for years. One day it starts raining while I and shredding leaves so I fold everything up and store it away. After a brief shower I'm thinking I can finish up if I hurry. I roll the shredder back to the leaf pile, grab a sack from the top of the pile, install it and fire up the engine. In a split second the shredder is flipped over on it's side with about 6 sacks hung up in it's guts. About never got that mess cleaned up....

Forgot one..This very nearly killed me. I was working for the state of NC and was told to use the side arm mower. Now this was not a nice hydro boom like you see on the roadsides today. This was an old maybe 5000 Ford Low center of gravity "LCG" With a straight boom made of 1/4 inch steel tubing maybe 15 feet long with another piece of tubing inside that which was fed out by a hydrolic motor. The weight of the mower at 25 or so feet out from the tractor made need of a counter weight on the other side. Trouble was, this weight was so heavy that the tractor would tilt and one back wheel leave the ground if the boom wasn't extended. Well, this was my first day in this death trap. My job was to clear the brush and weeds from the creek bank between 2 schools. I made the pass on the near side and was looking for a way to get the other side. I started off a long hill maybe a quarter mile long that sloped to the left towards the creek. Just as I passed the crest the right rear wheel lifted and started spinning backward. I touched the brake and the thing rose up higher ! I failed to mention before that this machine had a heavy wire mesh cage around 3 sides with the left ( downhill side ) being the only way out. The track lock would not engage and the slightest turn of the wheel made things worse. Now I can't say how fast this thing got up to going down this hill but it was MOVING ! The only think I could think to do was to swing the boom out to the right. This got the wheel down some but not near enough. I hit the feed and out goes the mower. When this happened the whole tractor starts to shake but it is slowing down and by now I am coming to the point where the hill hits the flat ground just before the small stream hits a larger one... By the time I get stopped, there is a skid mark an easy 200 yards long up the side of the hill and J-hooks where I slid to a stop ! And I am shaking so bad I can't move.. And whats even more stupid... I ran the thing the rest of the week....