Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bevel Gear Box Again!

JCS

That's the OVERHEAD VALVE cover like an automobile.If you have no compression it could be that the pushrods just came off or maybe it dropped a valve seat?If it isn't just a simple valve adjustment,it's gonna be VERY EXPENSIVE quickly!And if memory serves me parts are no longer available for this model Kohler?Take off the cover, look inside and see what you find?A 16 hp K-series ,or even a Briggs cast iron single cyl.if you can find one will fit right in there. Good Luck with it. dlc

I got an AC 718 this weekend the the bevel gear box makes noise and the engine has no compression. But my big question of the day is... There is some kinda box on top of the motor (Kohler) what is it for?? The sparkplug is on the top of the motor but off to the side. I have a 12 hp & 16 hp Kohlers and neither have this box thing?

Actually even if it needs a new head I think it is worth investing in. You shouldn't have the seat problem again and it is a unique model - making it a good collector. Think about it - it was the largest single cylinder that Kohler was making, or perhaps will ever make?