Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need some Briggs specs help

Brent_Baumer

Hi all. Just spent an hour on the briggs site with some success but not getting what I'm really looking for. I need help. Here's the deal. I have a Swisher 60" trail mower with a 13hp Briggs I/C vertical shaft engine. Model 28M707 Type 1120E1 Code 010419Z0 This thing has leaked since new, smokes on the slightest incline idles rough and has used oil since new. It boggs down easier than it should in thick grass. When it was still under warranty I had it in for repairs and the idiots TSC uses for warranty work never found anything wrong. Surprise. Anyway, now that one carb-to-block screw has fallen out and the other gotten loose I have decided to replace the engine with preferrably a 14-16hp. I don't want to have to use shims, drill holes or run the risk of too short a crankshaft. Basically am after a bolt-on replacement. I cannot easily access the crank to take measurements without pulling the engine but don't want to pull it until the new engine is purchased as it is still useable as is (now that I bolted the carb back on). I thought it would be easy to find all the specs on this engine on the briggs site but it I cannot find it. I did get some limited specs but no crankshaft, dimensional or bolt pattern information. If I knew how to find this based on the model/type/code, I could easily select a replacement engine if I had those numbers and get one off ebay for under $300 most likely. Can anyone help me? Thanks. Brent

Doesn't the Small Engine Warehouse site have some of the specs you need?

Hmmmm..Not only that, they have new 13.5 I/C's for $399 and "free" shipping. Maybe I could get it cheaper if I picked it up seeing as how they are only 45 minutes from me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brent, Here's a link to the last Replacement Engine Catalog that I have, dated July 1, 2003: http://www.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/EngineReplacement.pdf Hope this helps you.

The easiest way i found was to call Edens Ltd.,very knowledgable lady there looked up my old engine and the exact replacement for it.5 min. phone call.very good price.

Brent, I don't know if this will help or not, but here is B & S's link to the illustrated parts list. http://shop.briggsandstratton.com/BShopProductPage.asp?CatalogID=56B2B9AA-283C-11D4-8886-00B0D0203414&MECID=100&SessionID=FEBB787A-BD67-46E7-98D3-9A6EC8394BA5&CategoryID=&lrid=1&ProductID=56B2BB59-283C-11D4-8886-00B0D0203414 Tom (PK)

Here is your footprint. Quite a few engine people can offer engines up to 20HP with this same bolt pattern. You can thank the lawn mower people for keeping everbody in a lock step so to speak. The shafting is also of a standard size, 3-5/32" long from the mounting base out and 1" in diameter is the standard size. With these two items in mind, mounting vertical shaft engines from one horsepower to another or one make to another is fairly easy. Other problems can arise such as mounting a 12hp in place of of a 7HP and finding the hood won't fit and so on. So here you go Brent and happy hunting.

12.5 to 15.5 briggs are all the same configuration they will bolt right up.12 and 16 are different series.

Thank you all. I have my eye on a 15.5 now on ebay that is easily withing driving distance. What a great bunch we have here. Brent