Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

front counter weight

samson

I'm building a front counter weight and I need to see a picture of one Mounted on the tractor as I'm not sure which holes are used for the pivot point. The tractor is a B12. Thanks samson

They mount in the same holes in the front axle hitch point where the mower deck mounts, not the ones in the very front of the tractor... To have one on with a center-mounted attachment at the same time, you have to offset one or the other outside the hitch points, and pin all the way through the counterweight, the attachment, and the hitch points.

I think I would build it to use the front holes, that way it would not affect the center mounted attachments. Kent, Just wondering, what attachments do use those front holes? Got two homemade units that use them, but just not aware of factory use.

The front holes are used with the counterweight to just pin it up, so that functions like a front bumper or non-moving weight, allowing you to remove the lift rod.

'The front holes are used with the counterweight to just pin it up'. Would like too see aclose up pic of how that works, don't recall seeing any hole or tabs on pictures I looked at when I built mine. Sounds useful though.thanks

It's just another set of holes in the curved uprights that lines up with the hitch point on the front that UCD shows...

Thanks Kent and Maynard. Never noticed those in the pictures I looked at. Not sure mine goes up that high. Working on a 6000 sq foot lawn for a friend today so I'll try to check that out tonight. lunch time.

Thanks guys. Since I had neither a factory blower, nor a counterweight, I didn't know how they were used. I used them when mounting my Sears blower to my AC, and also when mounting the Wheel Horse grader blade to the AC. Just hadn't noticed them being used on any other factory attachments that I had seen mounted on tractors.

Like the snow blower, the hitchs for the Weed and Brush Cutter and the Sweepster broom also use both sets of holes for mounting. Remember, these hitches all attach solidly to the front axle and the pivot point is part of the hitch. The mower deck, grader blade, and counter weight all pivot on the attaching pins...

Thanks Kirk, I knew about the rear holes being the pivot points on most of these attachments. Just hadn't gotten deep enough into the assemblies to see where the front holes were being used. Interesting that when I made the mount for the Sears blower (without ever seeing a Simplicity mount) that my attachment method is very similar to the one used on the factory mount, even though the pivot on this unit is totally different. Since there aren't many of these tractors around in this part of VA, it is harder to get to see and touch the actual part. Even with an engineering background, the amount of information that can be obtained from the drawings in a parts breakdown is still somewhat limited. Nothing like seeing the real thing.