Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rainny Day Welding 'Grader-Rake' pics

MPH

Man oh man guys, I LOVE my new roof, got rained outta lawn workings today so its project day.

Added an angle iron frame to hold 128 lbs of wts on my disk.

Next is yet another attempt at raking rock off of packed dirt with a tractor instead of a hand jivin' rake that doesn't keep popping up more rocks like the York rake does. Had this vision last summer while stripping concrete walls (which doen't require much brain power) that these snap-tie ends could be useful, so I packed a box of them home. Along with an old piece of grader blade, and maybe the shoes off this walker blade, see if I need them first, if it quits rainning, I made me this thing I'm calling a graderake, in my never ending pursuit of laziness. Materials

spacing jig, 3/4 inch

62 snap-tie ends later

finished deal, If it works think I'll make up a hitch mount for it

Man- you do good work. I need to get cranking on a long list of projects. I'm a teacher so this summer I plan a major attack, god willing and the creek don't rise. My Dad may have to have his foot/leg amputated so that may put a damper on my list because I will have to take time to help him (I would do that above all because in my mind my dad is a hero from that "greatest generation" that sacreficed all for their country) so any way keep up the good work. JH

That is a great idea Marty! Let us know how it works out for you. That is a design I think I could use too. The pics were great. Ryan

Marty when it comes to using what you have. You are one of the elite ones, nice thinking and nice job :)

Your nomal nice work and great ideas. Looks like it should do the job keep us posted.

Since I ain't no doctor, them patient things weren't ment for me, hadda go play, even tough it was too wet. Well, didn't take long before I was cleanning out the little bit of grass and weeds tryin' to grow in the area I tested in along with the dirt since it didn't sift though well. Hope for a little better results when bone dry, but kinda thinking to do the job I want it needs to be rotating, kinda like a lawn sweeper. Gotta check out one of these golf ball pickers, might be a design to follow.

Marty, :DYou been watching that Monster Garage show again??:D It is amazing what you can come up with just useing a bit of thought. That is a fine looking job.

have you tried turning the end of the rods towards the front. Like about 1.5" from the bottom. This should help the rocks and debrie to roll a little bit and help loose the dirt, instead of dozzing the whole mess along.

Dave, you meaning to tilt the bottom of the blade forward? Not sure how I could do that without cutting and rewelding the mount irons. Hmm, maybe if I loosen the two bolts and put something on the top edge to change the tilt, not sure there is enough give in the holes for that to work. But then there is the contemplation of conver belt rubber paddles on this with a catch basket behind. or have I totally lost it??

made a hitch addaptor for it outta some scraps and pulled it around with the 725, seems to work after I gave the knife enough gap to clear the beat to heck reel.

Marty, I don't think you want to use anything with any speed on it to try to move rocks. I could get hit way down here in NC if you went to flinging rocks with that thing. I was thinking just bend the bottom of the rods about 30-40 degrees foward, or put a slow bend it the whole rod. From the weld point to the tip. Like a "root rake" on a caterpillar. The slope of the teeth makes the debris in front start to roll, causeing it to lift up and still be caught by the teeth, yet kift above the dirt so it falls free through the gaps in the teeth. The wider you have the teeth spaced the easier it is to loose the dirt. The debris will in efect help close the gap so I was thinking make the gap just slightly larger than the size of the smallest rocks you want to remove. Now I know this is scaled down but thats my experiance on cats. clearing and cleaning up brush. Overall I'd say you are on the right track and your handy work looks great. I also know what you mean about the smothness of haveing the dirt raked down by hand. It looks great when it's done but getting there is'nt half the fun.

'I could get hit way down here in NC if you went to flinging rocks with that thing'. Well that was worth having the thought just for the chuckle you gave me Dave. Now I understand what your saying, Got a new tank of Ox, may just try that. Figured I'd be better with the slightly pointing back so they didn't dig in.But what your saying makes sence.