Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs motor Question

tanman722001

I have a 10hp briggs cast iron and the threads where the muffler goes in at.they are gone is there anyway to fix it?Thanks Tony

Been thinking on that since I looked at your 101. bet it was run a long time with no pipe in it. Maybe bore and tape it next size up, or have a real good welder/cast expert, weld a pipe nipple in the hole. Really big healy coil??

Go to a machine shop and see if you can borrow a " Bottom tap " that size. A bottom tap don't have the slope like a normal tap does. Go slow and if you hit any tough spots, stop and use a normal tap for a little ways. Never seen one that couldn't be fixed. A bead or 2 of bronze could be T.I.G welded so as not to get the heat too high if need be. Good luck

This happened to a friends 11hp Briggs I/C,i used a flange for 1in. pipe from the "Depot",cut it down to size,drilled and tapped the block -5/16ths,working fine,cost about $4.00.