Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rebuild Kits

maxtorman1234

maxtorman1234
I have a 12HP motor that i need a new piston, rod, rings, head and other items for. I was wondering about the rebuild kits that I see on ebay. Has anybody ever bought from there? If so, how do they work? Thanks,

In this case I would just get the kit at your local dealer. You will probally pay a bit more but you are giving buisness to a local guy, and you also know your getting OEM Briggs parts, and if there is a problem you have a place to take it back to.

Allis_B12
I think Graham is talking about Kohlers. I don't own a Kohler, but I'd spring for a rebuild kit before they're impossible to find. That's slowly becoming the situation with the Briggs engines.

patrician12
I have bought many rebuild kits thru Stens and they are just fine.You must be talking kohler because there is no 12-16 hp Briggs kit except for 2 cylinder.

maxtorman1234
Thanks, and yep, its a kohler. The ones i was looking at are from stens. I'll have to save up and get one sometime.

• 2 weeks later...
I was just looking at the rebuild kits on ebay. 8 hp briggs threw a rod on my commercial blower. I have never done a rebuild before but was thinking of giving it a shot. I have never attempted anything this involved and don't know what I am getting into. How involved is it? I guess I will start by taking the head off to see how bad it is. SHould I give it a try? Worst case I am out $42 for the kit. jc 3

I agree with the statement "giving buisness to a local guy" or better yet, support your dealer. There are too many Home Depot's out there.

10HorseMan
If you have a problem you always have a local person to take it too. I do business with a guy that does machine work about 15mls from home. :D

Foley Belsaw has quite a few parts. You can get a catalog for free from their website. I'm not sure of the quality but the price looks pretty decent.

powerking_one
Graham, Consider that replacement O.E.M. parts from Kohler are SKYROCKETING. If you were to buy the rebuild/piece-meal parts from Kohler, you'd be looking at $300+ for the equivalent items aftermarket price around $100.00. I think most of these aftermarket parts are coming out of Brazil and the quality looks quite good. Save'n your change, Tom(PK)