Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

stuck hub on axle

DonNewberry

yesterday I went out to change the rear axle seals on my b112. It, of course, seemed like a simple job. The problem is I can't get the left axle hub off. I checked the diagram, It slides on with a square key to hold it in place and two set screws. The set screws came out, and I put a pulley puller on the hub and tightened it down. I spreayed it with wd-40 and gave it a few gentle taps. Waited, tapped, took pulley puller off, sprayed, and put the thing back on. Nothing! I heated it with a propane torch and tried again. Gave it a few less gentle taps. The result, the shaft now has moved over about 1/4 of an inch and the hub is still not coming off. What am I doing wrong and have I now created a mess in the transmission? help. Don

Only thing I see your doing wrong is using WD-40 as a penatrating oil. Get some PB blaster or better yet AreoKroil. WD-40 is not a serious rust penatrant for 40 year old rust. Might take a day or two giving it a squirt now and then. Also, inspect it carefully to see if someone welded it on over its long lifetime, have seen that reported here.

It really sucks when people weld them on,I got a 728 with leakig seals and someone welded the wheels to the axle. Iwill probably have to replace rear-end or try to gring welds off.

I had a similar problem on my B-112. If I remember correctly, one of the bolts locks down the square key you describe. There's another bolt that is a little longer that locks into a divit in the axle. the end of the bolt is kind of pointed and fits into the divit. In my case that end had broken off and was stuck kind of between the axle and the hub, locking the hub onto the axle. I had to drill it out and then retap the hub with for a larger bolt. I ground a new point on the end of it and everything works great now, but that did drive me crazy for a couple of days. I don't know if that will help, hope so. The last time I posted about this, it turned out that misunderstood the problem the poster had.

It's not welded on, thank heaven. I cleaned up the paint with a grinder to check. I also switched to liquid wrench, though I'll pick up a can of PB on monday. LeoB's, I took two screws out. I did so by gritting my teeth and taking a hammer to a now not so good 3/8 wrench. They were in solid. One of the screws comes to a point. The other has a semi-point, but looks like a flat head at the end. in other words, like it had a point but was ground off. I'm hoping the one with the flat end was for the key. In the mean time I'm letting it soak in oil with the pulley puller on it and giving it taps with a mallet whenever i walk by. Thanks, and if anybody has more ideas please let me know. Don

I just had a similar problem. The key fell out I guess(never found any sign of it) and the pointed end of the long set screw ate a nice deep groove in the shaft, forming a ridge on either side of the groove. To make things even more interesting, the pointed tip snapped off with about 1/4" of the threads still attached. Once I drilled out most of the tip, I had to force the hub off over the ridge. I used my big puller and the impact gun. It took a while but it worked. I cleaned up the shaft and keyway with the grinder. The groove had deposited a fair amount of material in the keyway, one thing pointing to the key falling out in my mind. I used a file to hand cut the keyway back to being just a tad too small, then scraped out shavings until the key would barely fit. I used two-part steel reinforced epoxy putty, JB Stick Weld in this case, to fill the groove in the shaft. It hardens fairly rapidly, and I sanded it down close to the right size. I used another hub, and by twisting the hub back and forth I shaved the last bit of epoxy off to make it a tight fit between the repaired shaft and the new hub. I tapped the key into place and tightened the set screws. Though hardly used yet, I think it will work out fine. Sorry but I didn't get pics this time....

Areokroil was not available, but PB Blaster was. It's soaking now and I'll try to have the patience of a grasshopper. Both of the screws are in good shape. The PB Blaster took the rust right off them. I'm a little worried about the axle shaft moving over though. I didn't remove anything on the right hand side, but the axle shaft moves to the left about half an inch. Thanks for the help! Don

Don, There should be a collar with set screws behind the hub. This collar slides against the tranny and they screws are tightened to prevent the left-right motion. If allowed to move, the gears in the diff can partially or completely disengage and cause damage to the diff.

Have had a fun Sat. Went out to garage and drilled out the key. The power died in the garage of course, so i borrowed a battery powered drill from the neighbor. Got key drilled. Tightened puller. The threads on it promptly stripped out. Swore at tractor and puller. Went to town. Bought new puller. Came back, tightened puller. Heated it with a propane torch (the hub). Hit the tightening screw on the puller. Nothing. Lost temper. Took a five pound mini sledge to the hub. Guess what, it came off in one piece. Uphill! But I got it. Thanks for the support. Now to figure out how to take the differential side off. Don

If you can get the left hub off the right side should be a piece of cake. Remove the collar that keeps the axle shaft (you'll need to clean up where the set screws bite the shaft) and then remove the axle and diff as an assembly, by removing the diff hub flange from the axle tube. A lead hammer or other soft but heavy hammer usaully works well for that job. Replace the seals and reassemble. It's easy from here LOL Good luck :D

Easy? Nothing about my tractor hasn't fought tooth and nail. However, i'm so pleased when she's working it's worth the effort. Hmm, where did I put the lead hammer? Don

No soft metal hammers. Used an old belt and a claw hammer. It came apart just fine in half an hour. Getting it all back together took longer. The biggest fight was with the retaining clips! The rear one put up a lovely fight. Unless it's pouring rain she'll drive tomorrow! Thanks for all the help! Don

She drives! Saturday she starts tilling my garden. YaY! Thank you for the help.