Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
EricD

What happened?

EricD
Friday I put the mowing deck on one of my 725's. I mowed the back lawn w/o any incident. Yesterday, just as I was finishing mowing the font lawn she began to push a little smoke, lose power in uncut grass and ultimately misfire as if running out of gas. About 30 seconds later all was quiet. I literally just completed the last cutting pass as she went to sleep on me. Just pushed her in the garage and haven't had time for any inspection yet. Still has gas in the tank is all I know. What are peoples initial thoughts? This is an engine that always started right up with five seconds of choke and ran good cold and hot - always did burn a little oil under load but I normally didn't push the revs up so high for so long (like when mowing). Engine turns w/o any clunking noises, seems to have compression, just spins over like it's not: A, getting spark or B, getting gas.

thedaddycat
Well, if that one's been sitting for a while you should check for mouse nests under the shrouds. It may have just overheated from a long haul of cutting. You said you just put the deck on, so it probably hasn't run under load for a while in warmer weather. Just one of those things you should probably check each spring anyhow....

Salthart
Its always good to start looking for the trouble as soon as a problem shows up. Reason being as follows... If your trouble is slow fuel flow, When the engine is not running it don't burn fuel so the level returns to normal. If the trouble is/was lack of spark it may well be a problem that won't be there when the engine cools. And last, if the engine was overheated as said above, it will now be cool. The best you can hope for is that the trouble will still be there when you do look and all the things mentioned by others and myself can very well be the trouble.. Good starting points any way. good luck to you.

EricD
Thank you all for the replys. First, the smoke color was a bluish color, not thick. Next, compression is at 75, gas is flowing, good spark and the plug is nice and clean, and finally, engine starts and runs cold. There is evidence of a critter nest in the engine shroud so the suspect problem looks to be overheating under a load. Daddycat, you can choose from the prize between door number one and door number two. :)