Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax Earth Drill

powermax_paul

powermax_paul
I don't know if there was ever one made, but I could really use one. We're gonna be building a house for some friends this year with a wrap-around porch requiring 22 concrete piers. Anybody got any ideas? Paul

I know of a guy who designed and built his own backhoe. Maybe he could answer this one better. Seriously Paul, don't they make a hydraulic post hole drill for a Bobcat? Try and call Bobcat of Madison? Maybe it could be adapted to fit your PowerMax

You could use your backhoe, then use sonna tubes for forms. Done it that way many times.

Im sure Mcfarlanes in Sauk has something to rent...Im sure youve thouhgt of that...But it would be fun to use the 'Max.

powermax_paul
Well, I do have a spare rear end for a B207.....Hydraulic motor to drive it,.....Attach it where my backhoe bucket attaches....hmmm.............might be the next project.:D

Pick-axe and shovel versus Bobcat with auger????Seriously though, even with a hydraulic motor producing enough flow to run a hydro auger, a powermax is too lightweight to force an auger down into most subsurface areas.

I've never tried one (I'm too chicken) but the engine powered, hand held augers seem to work. Why not on a powermax. Perhaps fitted to your back hoe?

fireballv8
I bought a gear drive from dragonsalvage..on ebay they are in texas they have had a bunch of these quality gear boxes on sale for 20$ or so (made for IHC/CASE). It would make a decent box for this if you get the RPMs right. if you are going to belt drive it you will have to make a concentric belt drive/mouting system (mount/lift concentric to both drive pulleys). IF a powermax has a 3pt. type PTO it will be even easier.

I would love to figure out a way to use one of the rear ends I have for a post hole digger and power it from my 101 or ??. belt drive would be a problem but I might be able to something with hydraulic. Any ideas out there?

Get a three point tractor and buy a post hole digger. They seem fairly reasonable at TSC; but really for only 20, you might be best to rent. If you own a farm and are always adding new fense or installing a 100 holes, then a tractor mounted post hole digger would be the way. Then sell it later.

powermax_paul
Lots of good ideas! I do have a spare 11hp Briggs vertical. Maybe I should encorporate that somehow too?:D

I bet your PM could handle it as long as your in sand and not clay and rock. I just finished a new pasture and drilled about 20 holes with a power auger hand held. It made quick work of it, in sand i bet it really flys. I bet you could do the piers quicker as you just stand it up exactly where you want it instead of trying to back up and position with a tractor..kind of a john henry thing.

deerhunter
I put a wrap around on my house two years ago. I live in SW PA and it's mostly clay. We used a one man auger and that got us threw the top soil from there, me & my wifes uncle did it with a digging bar & post hole digger on a very hot humid day. We only had to do 10 poles. I would try and make something work. even if it means renting it for the weekend!!!!!!!!!

powermax_paul
We usually do rent one for building decks etc, but that's usually only 3-4 holes. This one's gonna be clay for the top couple feet then limestone bedrock!